LegacyGT.com

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus

Madjik_Man

I've had the M3s for 4 seasons now and the tread is still looking vicious. Granted I don't put many miles on them at a time, but there is probably 80% of thread left.

The A/S tires I've had on before, which I wasn't too impressed with, do fine on snow-packed roads so long as you take it easy.

The M3s feel like tank treads on all crappy wintry roads. I go into the mountains a lot in the winter and encounter hellacious driving conditions... and the M3s are incredible. Especially with braking.

I'm definitely going to go with an all season tire. More than likely these Michelins.

I'll report back in this thread sometime in the summer to give my feedback

• 2 weeks later...

After 500 miles here's my initial review:

By far MUCH quieter than the Yoko's I had on before.

The ride quality is great. Really nice and smooth on dry roads. Granted I have a 2.5i family truckster and drive 'er like such, but the handling on curves/corners is a lot nicer than I thought given the softness of the sidewalls.

I hope these go close to 45,000 miles, if so, I'm a fan forever.

I agree about the Michelins. I had a set on mine and got 43,000 miles out of them. I now have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports on. Not too impressed with them. They are quiet, but have an imbalance first thing in the morning until they warm up. I may end up getting rid of them for another set of Michelins.

i thought about going to straight summer rubber too but i feel safer knowing the michelin pilots offer excellent wet performance

Yesterday we had a freak rain/snow storm that initially left the roads incredibly wet at first (basically a mini flood running down the streets)

I was out driving with the Pilots and the wet performance was superior to the Yokohamas I had on before. Not even the slightest hint of hydroplaning. Felt very comfortable.

Then the snow turned to a little bit of slush and once again, the Pilots felt super stable.

Assuming these go to 40,000 miles or so, I found my new A/S tires.

I agree about the Michelins. I had a set on mine and got 43,000 miles out of them. ............

What was your tread depth after 43,000 miles?

On my Pilot Exalto PE2 summers, I can forsee that I will be down to 4/32 after only 20k miles.

Based on my tread depth, I'm looking pretty good to last a minimum of 45k. If they hit 50k, then the slightly higher cost will be more than justified and I'll happily buy another set. So far I've been nothing but pleased with them.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Purchased a set of Pilot Sport AS plus, and will have installed on Monday. Prev used Yoko Advan S4 for 44K, but they were getting sketcy at 35K (have 45K on them now, yes they are beyond their life cycle), and this past winter needed a dedicated snow tire.

Anyone with an OB OEM wheel put a 225 50 17 tire on without issues? Difference is 55 is stock vs. the 50? I see a used set of snow tires for sale?

I was considering a 225/50, but just went with the stock 55. I don't regret the purchase at all, despite the pretty aggressive price of those tires.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What was your tread depth after 43,000 miles?

On my Pilot Exalto PE2 summers, I can forsee that I will be down to 4/32 after only 20k miles.

I am not sure, maybe 3 or 4/32. I know my mechanic suggested replacing them. My right front tire had a bit more wear on the outer edge than the others. I had to take the car back to have it realigned in VT because it seemed to pull to the right. I could not even tell that the tires were low on tread. They handled the same as the day I bought them.

That's all I've run - post RE92A - and I love this tire; I'm on my third set (2 sets of 225/45/17 and 1 set of 225/40/18) and the 2nd set, which I took off to put on the 18s are going on my 98 LGT with 35,000 miles on them and expect to get another 20K before I start "looking" to replace that set. -.75 F / -1.25 R camber and 0* toe-in all around. No abnormal wear, cupping, scuffing, or other wear points, and definitely no camber wear. Balanced and rotated every 5K.

Pros: Good stiff sidewall, especially at 2 psi above stock, amazing turn-in / cornering, superior in the rain to anything else that I've run before or since, more than adequate in heavy snow and snow-on-ice, and wear like iron, yet grip like much softer shoes.

Con: Spendy - but you definitely get what you pay for and then some. Only Nr2 on TR.com because, in my opinion, the Conti EC DRW are slightly cheaper.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

............Good stiff sidewall, especially at 2 psi above stock, amazing turn-in / cornering, superior in the rain to anything else that I've run before or since, more than adequate in heavy snow and snow-on-ice, and wear like iron, yet grip like much softer shoes...........

Were your Michelins the W speed rated, or Y speed rated?

i would have to differ with regards to the snow performance. in moderate temperatures the rubber will still hold but below -10C / 15F it becomes very sketchy even in light snow. and the tire will let you get by, but cannot be compared to full winters.

Were your Michelins the W speed rated, or Y speed rated?

They were Z rated... 225/45ZR - 17s and 225/40ZR -18s

Check your pressures. They do pretty well at stock 35F/33R. I only bump mine up if I'm going to be doing a lot of high-speed running and/or canyon carving. That said, those sidewalls contribute to some pretty sharp handling in day-to-day and at the limits of adhesion. Love this tire.

I would definitely go with another set of these tires. The ones I have on my car now have an imbalance in them that causes them to vibrate no matter the speed. I am actually considering contacting Bridgestone to see what they can do. I wish I had not decided to save on money and just purchased the Michelin's. I had a set of 205/50R17's. They really are good tires!!

Archived