LegacyGT.com

turbo inlet hose

ok so for the past couple of weeks i have been smelling a sleight oil burn smell in my cabin when stopped or walkin past front of my car after takin a look under the hood the only place that i c an oil leak is around my turbo inlet hose at the turbo...any help as to why that could be at WOT i do not see any oil being burn coming out of my exhaust.

• 1 month later...
i am still smelling oil burning from from my engine compartment and it is coming from where the turbo is located....can anyone chime in and throw some ideas out there? or is this somethin im just gonna have to have a dealer look at?

Get a chair, Open the hood, start the engine, place chair by the right front tire, place you butt in the chair with your face towards the turbo...get the picture ?

There are a few oil lines in that area that could be leaking.

BTW unless your under warrenty any repair shop can fix it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok sure will....asshole! if nobody has anything to say that will help out then don't say anything. I've posted my problems to receive help from other members of this forum and maybe someone that has had the same problem. Didn't expect a comment like that from a donating member for sure. Thx for nothing nosiac has been way way more helpful then anyone here sad to say...

What's your question?

Any shop can inspect the car for oil leaks, not just the dealer.

You are leaking oil because a seal has failed.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My question is where to start cheating for leaks from the turbo. Do I need to pull the turbo off? Can the turbo itself leak oil out off it? Could it most likely be the oil feed lines? I've got oil in my ic,my turbo inlet and also my throttle body if that helps. And how can I check for boost leaks? And what is blowby? Is that the oil that is getting past my piston rings because they are getting worn out? Can the turbo have blowby?

a little oil in the i/c or comp outlet isn't the end of the world (blowby). i would not like to see it in the inlet, or in such a volume as to reach as far as the throttle body, or on the exhaust side; that implies seals, and impending doom if left to bear.

if i saw oil there, i'd be shopping for a turbo to avert a CE.

oil feed line is atop the turbo, and easy to spot a leak. oil drain line is directly below on the bottom of the turbo (hose with pinch clamp), and more susceptible to leaking -- yet more difficult to access for inspection. you've got to get the car raised a bit and get under there, it's behind the downpipe. from all the oil in your intake tract, i don't think you should bother...

oil getting past rings can be tricky business, but many find it will tend to present as distinct looking/smelling exhaust smoke, accompanied by a level disappearing act, rather than peaking one's interest as a visible leak somewhere along the line.

best luck.

All I was saying is, if you want to see if you have a external oil leak on the turbo the best way is to start the engine look at the turbo and see where the smoke if coming from.

The fact that you can smell it walking arouind the car, tells me it's an external oil.

It could be the banjo fitting seals. It may help to remove the heat shield from the turbo. It could also be the oil return line. Somebody a few months back poated about there line having a hole in it. But he also had 180,000+ miles.

You could pay someone to do that, but you can also DIY

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

i did pull my ic off and my heat shield and could see nothing so i put it on some jackstands and looked underneath the turbo well as much as i can see any way and there is oil all over right uderneath the turbo. there is a line that i see that looks like oil would be running down it. is there a oil line or banjo bolt directly underneath the turbo? the best i can tell is its between the hot side and cold side sorry i do not know what to call that part of the turbo...

THe banjo is on top with two crush washers.

I have to run now, sorry I can't be more help.

Auto parts stores have crush washers in the brake parts area. they are cheap.

There is an oil return line on the bottom IIRC, it is held on by clamps and we've seen it get crimped before when a dealer mis-reinstalled a turbo for one of our customers. The hose got crimped and was building up excessive pressure causing an oil leak similar to what you describe. Remove the Turbo and re-installl and/or re-install the clamps

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived