LegacyGT.com

OCV valves

So I had P0011 and P0021 along with P0128 (thermostat)

I've changed both OCV valves (got them from Fred Beans) cleared codes test drove car 2 times and on 2nd time P0021 and P0011 are back. I am at a loss at what to do now:icon_conf:confused:

What should I do now? Do another oil change?

I think you need to clean the cam position sensors. That code is for to much advance of the cam timing. OCV's will slow the timing down, if I understand it right.

My mechanic also said they remove the banjo filter and that seems to help on the 7 cars they've work on for those codes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe further back on the heads towards the firewall.

That's what my Tuner said could be the problem when I got the P0011 and P0021 codes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had this same issue last month. Took it to the mechanic and he replaced both OCV valves. About 2 days later, the same error code came up. I change my oil every 3000 miles, and only use synthetic but last time I did an oil change I wasn't able to get the filter off. So I was stuck, with a car with no oil in it...so I figured the filter should be fine for alittle while longer... I got to about 4k miles on the filter and that is when the error came up. Since changing the OCV valves didn't seem to fix it, I decided to pick up the tool needed and change the oil filter. The light went off, and hasn't come back on...that was 2 weeks ago. Wish I would have rememebered about the filter before I payed for new OCV's :p

I had this same issue last month. Took it to the mechanic and he replaced both OCV valves. About 2 days later, the same error code came up. I change my oil every 3000 miles, and only use synthetic but last time I did an oil change I wasn't able to get the filter off. So I was stuck, with a car with no oil in it...so I figured the filter should be fine for alittle while longer... I got to about 4k miles on the filter and that is when the error came up. Since changing the OCV valves didn't seem to fix it, I decided to pick up the tool needed and change the oil filter. The light went off, and hasn't come back on...that was 2 weeks ago. Wish I would have rememebered about the filter before I payed for new OCV's :p

There's tool needed to change oil filter? :rolleyes: As far as I know it comes off just like on any other vehicle. It is easily accessible from under the car.

There's tool needed to change oil filter? :rolleyes: As far as I know it comes off just like on any other vehicle. It is easily accessible from under the car.

LoL, yea I tried for the better part of an hour to get that filter off. Last time I changed the oil I just hand tightened it like I always do but I could NOT get it off. So I had to resort to buying a filter wrench to get the stupid thing off.

LoL, yea I tried for the better part of an hour to get that filter off. Last time I changed the oil I just hand tightened it like I always do but I could NOT get it off. So I had to resort to buying a filter wrench to get the stupid thing off.

For future reference, you don't need a filter wrench for subaru oil filters that are stuck. Take a phillips screw driver and hammer it into the side of the filter and use the handle to break it free. Had to do this on a used car I bought. The previous owner had an opil ship change the oil and they must've use an impact to get that thing on.. :p

Archived