LegacyGT.com

Neutral Safety Switch on 5 speed 05 LGT

turboman38

Ok so I have done the research and have a neutral safety switch ordered but still have questions. Went home last night and had the cruise set on 79 mph. It worked fine. Came into work this morning set it at the same speed and it will not stay set. It was colder this morning.

First question: Does anyone know why the temp would affect the cruise control?

The other thing I did this was to push on the shifter after I set the cruise on 79mph. The cruise stayed set when I did that.

Second question: Why does putting pressure on the shifter (5 speed) allow the cruise to stay set?

Third question: How does the neutral safety switch affect the cruise control?

Thanks and have a great day!

I think this was answered in another thread ?

The fix for cruise control dropping out of cruise is to thin out the metal on the washer on the sensor. Just grind out down so it's thinnner and put it back on. I had to do mine twice over a few years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep, I already thinned the washer down two times. I can't make it much thinner.

I have a new neutral safety switch coming this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem. If it doesn't then I don't know what I need to do to fix it.

• 1 year later...

I finally had to to do this over the weekend as my cruise had totally quit.

I went to NAPA and took the factory washer with me. Found a matching copper washer much more thin.

The factory one, measured with a dial caliper, is .079 thick

The one from NAPA was .030 which looked pretty thin.

Installed it yesterday and my cruise works like a champ.

Monitoring it with the AP shows it turning off and on real sold whereas before it was flickering on and off on its own.

I might add that I got a brand new switch and my old one and the new one acted exactly the same.

Using a meter there is only a certain amount you can push this switch in to get it to work.

If only pushed in a small amount it flickers or doesn't connect. If you push it in too far it does the same thing.

If you push it in about half way it stays on solid.

With the way this switch acts I would say for sure there is an engineering problem with the thickness of the washer and how far the switch is pushed in by the transmission.

Archived