LegacyGT.com

Water in trunk.

So this is the second time this has happened. Last time the vent behind the fender that clips in was broke but i sealed it to hold it and it seemed to work. That was in the summer tho, but now with it getting warmer and some rain there is water again. It seems to be sitting where the spare tire is and i noticed it because that carpet mat in the trunk was went on the sides. Anybody have any idea where it could be coming from or do i basically have to sit in the trunk again and have someone spray a hose on the whole rear end?

I have no idea if they're related but my '90 Integra would always fill up with water in the hatch/trunk area. Down in the spare tire well (lowest point of the body)

It was the seals around the tail lights that were the culprits.

To find out, I had my wife take a hose to the back of the car while I sat inside the hatch with all the interior panels off. It was like a flood gate coming through the tail lights.

I had the same problem with mine. It was only a minute amount of water, but it was enough to build up. I just ended cutting a hole in the center of an old towel and laying it under my spare tire to soak up any water. It dries out just fine...

Madjik- now that you mention that, I did have body work done to my rear quarter panels, so maybe I should check out my taillights.

Subscribed to see what Tmemz problem is...

I had this happen to me with a different brand of car. Turns out, there was a drain plug underneath the spare tire. Never sure why but, I think this got miss-alligned and was letting water in going through puddles, maybe if I went through a car wash and paid the extra $ for underwash.

Not sure if there is a drain plug in a Subie but you might check.

• 3 months later...

Do you have a sun roof?

They have been known to leak into the spare tire well.

My 2007 has a sun roof with 4 drains, one in each corner.

The front drains go to the rear side of the front wheel wells, behind the plastic liner.

The rear ones go to the front side of the rear wheel wells, behind the plastic liner.

Rubber drain hoses descend from the corners of the sunroof where they plug onto drain nipples that are part of the sunroof structure. These hoses have been known to plug and/or come off their nipples with the result that water shows up inside somewhere.

Check if your drains are running by pouring water into the gutters which are exposed when the roof is open. If your feet get wet, and you are not in the car, be happy you will not need to find a plumber.

Cheers

Archived