LegacyGT.com

touchup paint?

ever use paintscratch.com

Have you? If so was it a near perfect match? Someone tried to color sand and buff out a scratch on my wifes car and the sanded the color so thin that the primer started to show through. It's about a 2 inch diameter.

Have you? If so was it a near perfect match? Someone tried to color sand and buff out a scratch on my wifes car and the sanded the color so thin that the primer started to show through. It's about a 2 inch diameter.

I've used them twice and the colors have been close, but not perfect. I would not use either to cover only a portion of the panel.

But, to be fair, I used spray cans.

I've used them twice and the colors have been close, but not perfect. I would not use either to cover only a portion of the panel.

But, to be fair, I used spray cans.

Too bad, those prices are pretty good. FYI I found out that sometimes there can be other variations for the same paint code. I looked into some paint for my wifes car at a local paint shop and the guy showed me two samples that were the same code. They were very close, but get them in good light and you can tell they are not exactly the same. If it isn't the same mix it shouldn't have the same code.:spin:

I got some touch-up paint from Dr. Colorchip. In my opinion, a very good (almost perfect) color match, but not your standard touch up paint, more of a touch up paint system (and not for every kind of scratch/blemish).

I had some touch up from the dealership that I bought years ago when I first got the car and it was a poor match (maybe I was unlucky). It looked more like the Atlantic Blue Pearl color than the RBP....

-Neil

I'm pretty sure I checked the bottle and I *think* it even said RBP on it. I'll have to dig it out this weekend and look at it again. I just remember (because I can still see the couple of places that I used it...) that it wasn't a very good match at all.

I thought I had read somewhere at one time that manufacturer's make a touch up paint that will "work" for several of their colors that are close together, as that would be cheaper than having a separate formula for each paint code and possibly having the bottles sitting on a shelf going bad. Like the touch up paint for RBP might be the same as for ABP, with the shade of blue somewhere in between the two that would be close enough to keep most people happy. Not sure if this is true, but it appears so in my case (unless they gave me the wrong bottle and I didn't notice :( )

-Neil

P.S. Fulton, we'll have to get together sometime when the weather clears and I get rid of this flu. I would like to feel how a modded LGT feels!

Archived