LegacyGT.com

Replacing OEM UP Pipe and Down Pipe

My car needs new catalytic converters on the up pipe and down pipe (and a whole lot of other stuff, spark plugs, leak down test, compression test, turbo, etc).

I have already replaced my blown turbo with a new OEM turbo.

I know I can replace the stock up pipe and down pipe for sure, but I want to meet emissions standards in Texas (where I live). So I am looking for a good Up Pipe and Down Pipe either replacement OEM (used or new), or an after market set that may or not match each other that will meet emissions standards (meaning cats, and O2 sensors). Does anyone know where I can find after market Up Pipes and Down Pipes that meet emissions standards?

-Thanks,

Ppettit2005

I would replace the UP with a catless. It shouldnt have any effect on your emissions, but definitely gives you some safety about not worrrying about having your cat break up and mess your turbo. They got rid of the cat in the UP for 2006 and on I believe.

As for the DP I went performace so, I dont know if anyone makes an OEM replacement.

When it comes to the up-pipe, you will be stuck with OEM if you want to keep the cat. However, there really isn't a reason you need one there. In fact, imo a pre turbo cat is more harmful than benefitial. If it desides to fall apart, your turbo is getting a face full of metal pieces. You should just get a OEM STI uppipe or a Bosal. Both look 100% stock and include heatshields, EGT sensor bung, and a unique flex section that doesn't fail as much as a traditional flex.

When it comes to the downpipe, i don't know how strict Texas is for emissions, but if you do aftermarket, Perrin makes a two piece downpipe that is emissions compliant (except for CARB). Its a pricey piece and would require a tune, but it's a great DP. Other than that, if TX doesn't do sniff tests, you could always do a cated DP and do an o2 spacer to take care of the CEL (that is if you throw a code). Aside from that, you can buy a used dp from someone on the forums, or you could always just gut yours and run the previously mentioned o2 spacer.

Get a CATLESS up-pipe ! you don't want a anything in the way before the turbo. You're not going to fail emissions and Subaru went cat-less with the Legacy in 07+. So if you want an OEM uppipe, get a 07-09 one.

If you want a Down-pipe with a Bell-housing, get a tune.

You may want to contact a buddy of mine in TX. http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/

Tony is a great guy and has a lot of knowledge about performance cars. I'm sure he can help you pass emissions and have more HP safely.

You can tell him Byron with the yellow hatch from CT sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Gut your OE UP pipe, gut the DP and get a tune. Unless Texas does a tail pipe sniff you should pass no problem.

A gutted DP isn't the most power you can get but it is a good kick in the pants when you go stage 2 and looks stock.

Archived