LegacyGT.com

Modifying the 5EAT

I test drove a new Legacy GT with the 5EAT and was impressed with it. It held the revs all the way up until the rev limiter and wouldnt move it until you told it to. I do feel as though the shift time was a bit long, but since I will be sharing this car with my gf, who cant drive a stick, this is my only choice. I have one question: Is it possible to mod the electronic programming of the 5 EAT to provide a quicker shift response time? Something to make it more aggressive? I think if thats possible, someone could make a pretty penny devising a way to make the auto more performance oriented. But is it possible? :?:

[quote name='tallguylehigh']I have one question: Is it possible to mod the electronic programming of the 5 EAT to provide a quicker shift response time? Something to make it more aggressive? I think if thats possible, someone could make a pretty penny devising a way to make the auto more performance oriented. But is it possible? :?:[/quote] Not quite sure what you mean. Provide a quicker shift reponse time, meaning getting it in gear quicker, I don't think that is a function of a computer program, but physical limits of the actual tranny itself. You mentioned the car hold would the gear at higher rpms, do you mean keeping it in gear at higher than "stock" RPM limiter lets it? I'm sure that could be changed, but not without risks I would think though. Anyone else? Peace, Dave

[quote name='flat4fantasy'][quote name='tallguylehigh']I have one question: Is it possible to mod the electronic programming of the 5 EAT to provide a quicker shift response time? Something to make it more aggressive? I think if thats possible, someone could make a pretty penny devising a way to make the auto more performance oriented. But is it possible? :?:[/quote] Not quite sure what you mean. Provide a quicker shift reponse time, meaning getting it in gear quicker, I don't think that is a function of a computer program, but physical limits of the actual tranny itself. You mentioned the car hold would the gear at higher rpms, do you mean keeping it in gear at higher than "stock" RPM limiter lets it? I'm sure that could be changed, but not without risks I would think though. Anyone else? Peace, Dave[/quote] Basically I want to know if its possible to change the shift times for the 5EAT from say 500 milliseconds to 250 milliseconds to give it a more responsive feel.

I'm sure some modification would be possible since the shifts are probably programmed to minimize drivetrain shock. I've heard about people with VW/Audis reprogramming their tiptronics for quicker shift times. However, something like this would involve tinkering with the TCU and is probably best left to experts that know what they are doing. Ken

You can remove the slack on the shift control cable. That'll firm things up a bit. You can also have a transmission shop do a valve body adjustment, which would be much more effective. Just don't make it too firm, because it can be as rough a shift as you want.

Archived