LegacyGT.com

MR uppipe leaking at flex joint, fix somehow?

PutnamCO

I recently noticed an exhaust leak coming from somewhere near the turbo, so yesterday, I took everything apart and replaced or treated (with copper gasket sealant) every gasket from the manifold to the y-pipe. This did not take care of the problem, and I am now pretty sure that the leak is coming from the flex section of my Megan Racing uppipe. I am well aware that MR pipes are POS, but unfortunately these were my first aftermarket purchases and I did not know better. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to salvage the pipe, or do I just need to get a new one. Thanks.

Weld it maybe? I guess it depends where the leak is from.. but a new up pipe will only set you back about 150 dollars (more or less)... but that's one reason why I choose not to get a flexjoint.. I just went straight pipe

Buy a better uppipe. Fixing it isn't worth it.

Put crap in, get crap out.

A good, high quality flex joint won't leak and the pipe will be more reliable than a straight pipe.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks for the advice, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure. My MR uppipe and downpipe have caused me more problems than everything else on my car put together. I have had to weld the DP 3x because of cracking behind the flange, and had to add material by welding to try to make the gasket seal. Just a warning to anyone else thinking of buying their crap.

done 30k miles of NYC and surrounding highways, tunnels, bridges, potholes in the last 9 months and not a single issue with my Invida catless UP.

If you get it installed right a solid pipe wont work and once its installed properly, it also doesnt have a flex point which eventually will be a point of weakness...

IMHO of course

Archived