LegacyGT.com

do you guys use "I" mode in traffic?

I leave it in I mode when I take the car anywhere someone else might drive it (car wash, valet, dealer, etc). If they know how to turn I mode off, they usually forget how to turn it on, and you know right away that they hooned around a bit.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I use 90% of the time, because I have a 40 mile highway commute and I generally receive 27mpg cruising at 73-75 without the assist of cruise control. I seldom use the mode on this commute, but when I do I generally receive around 24mpg, and I believe this is because I am not use to the different throttle response of the "regular" mode, as well as the increase in boost. mode claims to give you 15% more mpg, and i usually get 12% more with mode than in mode. Here is a link if you would like more information about SI-drive: http://www.drive.subaru.com/Summer07_whatmakes.htm

On mine, I made S-mode and I-mode mostly linear with the biggest difference being S still hits 100% throttle while I mode doesn't. It also has a 6400rpm limit vs 6800 on the other 2 modes. I've got it setup to run about 11psi in I mode. This made the car considerably easier to drive /rev match, and even more so after the LWFW install. S# mode is closer to stock with some smoothing and the same linear requested torque table under 14% throttle. This allows for fairly easy driving in S# with a very sensitive throttle when you get on it. I almost never use it and pretty much exclusively use S-mode.

SIDRive.thumb.jpg.93c3ab7c74784c3efd3b8845b45dfe3d.jpg

I drive 95% in "i" mode, and when i want to mess around, i use s#. I hate it when I bring it to the dealership and drop it off with "i" mode engaged, and it comes back with s# engaged!!

It can't come back with S# engaged. S# defaults to S-mode when you turn the car off.

I-mode remains I-mode after restart.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It can't come back with S# engaged. S# defaults to S-mode when you turn the car off.

I-mode remains I-mode after restart.

Some dealerships keep the car running after you pick it up. They just bring the car around...

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

whats with all this "never drive in S#" stuff? thats like like like taking a spark plug or 2 out of a V8....isnt it?

saying its too difficult to turn the knob 1 min after the engine starts in lame. you put yout belt on, use your blinker (you DO use your blinker right?).

just buy a N/A if its to difficult to turn the knob. better yet, just do the simpe thing and copy your S# settings to the S table in your map...simple.

im always in S#, specially in traffic cause if i need to move, merge get out of the way of some yutz, i want the car to do it without lag.

i read the manual ocver to cover (engineer in me :cool:) but i dont recall the I not while cruising thing. on a long trip i may use it and i do see a significant differance, increase in mileage. i can fluctuat from 15 to 27 mpg average.

fun topic

peace

I don't find turning the knob to be all that difficult, I just don't see the reason to be in S# everywhere I go. I am not driving on a track, and I am not trying to take a couple of tenths off my trip to the supermarket so what exactly am I getting out of driving around in S#? Plus, driving in I means to maintain your speed you have to learn to corner better. :p

SOA recommends not using Intelligent on HWY/FWY because if in an emergency you need to get around something and WOT it, 'I' wont give you that power.

I kinda find this funny because there are many other cars that are more underpowered then the LGT in I mode that get around on the highway just fine. And if you need extra oomph all you have to do is downshift.

I drive in I mode alot too, makes driving around in slow traffic or parking lots a lot smoother. Maybe its my tune, but S# throttle is very aggressive, and causes the car to buck too much in low speeds even if I lightly touch the pedal.

I kinda find this funny because there are many other cars that are more underpowered then the LGT in I mode that get around on the highway just fine. And if you need extra oomph all you have to do is downshift.

It just sucks when your one of those people who was not thinking and thought it was in S expecting the powaa and nothing happens:lol: happens to me sometimes:redface::lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Ive driven and rode around in my friends 06 LGT and the different driving modes make a big difference.

Since we're fortunate enough to have it... why not use all 3 depending on driving conditions and situations.

Sometimes you dont need the extra power but who doesnt like to take full advantage of thier cars FULL potential. :lol:

It just sucks when your one of those people who was not thinking and thought it was in S expecting the powaa and nothing happens:lol: happens to me sometimes:redface::lol:

thats why you have the S# button on the wheel for those times.

On the stock settings, the only thing S# does over S is take throttle modulation away. If you put your foot to the floor both modes are the same and make the same power for the most part. I think S mode already has little enough modulation.

whats with all this "never drive in S#" stuff? thats like like like taking a spark plug or 2 out of a V8....isnt it?

saying its too difficult to turn the knob 1 min after the engine starts in lame. you put yout belt on, use your blinker (you DO use your blinker right?).

just buy a N/A if its to difficult to turn the knob. better yet, just do the simpe thing and copy your S# settings to the S table in your map...simple.

im always in S#, specially in traffic cause if i need to move, merge get out of the way of some yutz, i want the car to do it without lag.

i read the manual ocver to cover (engineer in me :cool:) but i dont recall the I not while cruising thing. on a long trip i may use it and i do see a significant differance, increase in mileage. i can fluctuat from 15 to 27 mpg average.

fun topic

peace

Uhm, okay then... I think you're missing how SI-Drive works because it is absolutely nothing like taking a spark plug out of a V8 :lol:. S# does not make anymore power over S mode, it just increases the throttle response by doubling it. When you open the pedal 1-degree, you're actually getting 2% of throttle opening rather than 1%. All it does is make the throttle more aggressive in S# mode. Why should we turn the knob to S# when S can be aggressive enough. I can accelerate just as quickly in both modes, it's just smoother in S. I used to drive the car in S# when it was stuck, but once you start making more power it just becomes overkill. So it has absolutely nothing to do with being lazy.

On a side note: it's not one minute after the vehicle starts. Ever started this thing in -20 degrees Fahrenheit? It certainly takes longer than one minute for the vehicle to warm up. So by the time it warms up I'm almost to where I'm going. Why would I want very aggressive throttle while driving through town on my way to campus? I don't even feel the need to use S# mode in the twisties anymore. I guess what it comes down to is this; for some of us S# mode is our right foot. Other people need a computer to make things more aggressive for them.

If you have a 5EAT S# also changes all the shift points. Holds gears longer, downshifts sooner, basically puts the transmission into video game mode.

So while I can imagine there isn't much difference with a stick, with the auto its a completely different car.

If you have a 5EAT S# also changes all the shift points. Holds gears longer, downshifts sooner, basically puts the transmission into video game mode.

So while I can imagine there isn't much difference with a stick, with the auto its a completely different car.

Is it really a different car, or does it just feel different? The car's maximum capabilities are still the same. It's still going to hit 60, turn the 1/4 mile and have the same passing power as if it were in S mode.

I drive in I mode 98% of the time.

The freeway is 3 mins from my house. As soon as I get on the freeway, I set it on cruise and drive a 18 mile drive to work. I average 22 mpg.

Next fill up, I set it in S and do the same thing. I average 19 mpg.

The following fill up. I set it into S# and do the same thing. I average 19 mpg.

My car gets started for 10-15 mins every morning before I drive. I start my drive at 4:20 am.

Its quite cold up here with temps being in the low 0-20 degrees. I'm sure when it gets warmer, my MPG will go up some.

This is a comparison graph from my car after dynotune for all 3 modes. S and S# mode both target to 17.5 psi, but you can see that S# is showing more hp and a significant increase in peak torque. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison on a stock car.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/marzario34/TuneComparisonweb.jpg

This is a comparison graph from my car after dynotune for all 3 modes. S and S# mode both target to 17.5 psi, but you can see that S# is showing more hp and a significant increase in peak torque. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison on a stock car.

I have graphs of my stock 08' 5Mt across the 3 modes, and also when stg 2 dyno tuned. Let me dig them out.

Heres the dynos, 1st graph is Complete stock car I think I dynoed it maybe with a couple thousand miles after break in. It was the first car they seen with SI-Drive and wanted to play with it on the dyno. 2nd graph is stg 2 across 3 modes. I'm happy with putting around in I mode after stg 2 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/Bbc84/Legacy%20GT/159389a7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/Bbc84/Legacy%20GT/Stg2DynoTuned.jpg

I have been doing some experimenting lately, the last two times I have filled up 45L and pushed them as far as I could, considering that the price for 94 octane is around $1.40 a L :icon_sad:, which would translate in to around $5.20 US a gallon, also considering that the CDN currency is a tad higher than the US.

I have been driving in "I" mode only and have averaged about 22-23 MPG or about 400km per 45L( 60% Hwy and 40% City with about 2 min warm-ups every time I start the car), which is decent for winter driving, but at the same time I would drive like a grandma @ 60mph on the freeway.

Wow. Stage 2 made a nearly 100whp difference in I mode. That's outrageous.

BBC - How many miles have you been stage-2?

Archived