LegacyGT.com

05 GT: Has anyone done a single exhaust?

abakja1

Just curious about the possibility if anyone has done a single exhaust out the rear,..

I know, would look funny with the 2 cutouts,..but Im curious about the look and if anyone has one, can you provide a sound clip??,..im sure it would be louder than twin muffs,..

Also, the cost factor should be cheaper to fabricate since not too many exhaust systems out yet,..

I'll take a stab and say that it will sound the same.

Going single from a dual system is really up to you... Because it's you car =). You'll most likely save some $ at the end of the day because: 1. there's no need for a y-pipe to be bought or made so less work and less time needed, 2 there's no need for a 2nd muffler. So if you picked a 100$ muffler, normally you would need to shell out 200$. 3. again, less work involved i.e. less piping to do.

I know a lot of rx7 people do it and really don't give a care what other people think about 2 holes with 1 muffler coming out.

Hope that helps you out.

It should also be better performance wise. Not by much (sub 5hp I would assume), but you have exhaust going straight out, rather then through a split and some wierd bends.

What I was thinking as you dont have to "split" the exhaust gases,..Pretty much duals are for looks to me and i think the single exhaust looks better to me,...

Anyone have a single tip out their rear??:lol:

It would be much easier to do on an Outback compared to the Legacy, due to the lower bumper cut outs on the Legacy. They outback has down turned tips on the duals. So, a single exhaust can still be hidden and no one would know the difference. Where as with the Legacy, you would have one bumper cutout with nothing in it, unless you put a fake tip there to even it out.

I think our cars look good with the dual pipe look. The fact that the rear bumper was designed for dual pipes would make it look wrong if you only had one. I'm not saying that one would look bad, but it would look wrong with the way the bumper is. That white legacy in the thread that was just linked is a good example.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Based on Thermodynamics and some sound wave propagation theory, you can have an equally quiet exhaust with two mufflers vs. a single exhaust, and you would have less back pressure. (make sure you read the quiet part)

If the bends aren't too bad going into the Y (see this thread with a pic of Lachute's) the mandrel bends will not radically harm performance (<1-2 hp) and the second pipe just helps to muffle without harming performance. Based on the layout of the Legacy’s exhaust the drivers side gets more flow than the passenger.

Think of it as a single exhaust with a little bleed that lowers the dB of the exhaust...

Ted

And this has been discussed ad nauseum if you search...

:spin:

What is the upside? 1-2 hp and some weight reduction? You will shift more weight to the driver's side and the front (probably makes the new balance 55/45 D/P and 57/43 F/R with a driver) of the car. If that is the bias you want, more power to you...

Ted

Oh yeah, it will be a good bit louder then a comparably performing dual exhaust…

:spin:

I don't know about those weight balance figures - how much does one half an axle back weigh? plus the driver sits behind the front wheels. but yeah, unless you are just on a mission, I don't think switching to a single makes much sense.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Very true. If you ever decide to crawl underneath the car, the piping is pretty much straight from the main cat to the split. For the driver side, the pipe angle is say ~40-45 degrees with a relatively easy bend to go into the muffler. The passenger side angle is much sharper .. I'd say 20-25 degrees, goes under the swaybar and ends with a crazy sharp bend to go into the muffler.

*saw what he meant about the sound*

on the issue of 'back pressure,' again, im not so sure any appreciable difference can be had between the two (like you say and like was guessed earlier in the thread 'sub 5hp' or '1-2hp'). you may go into thermodynamics, i won't mind, i'm studying to be a mechanical engineer; but then i'll ask you what kind of difference in the real world this would make. if you say very little, why bring it up?

the upside comment was based partly on aesthetics and partly on performance (of which, the highest criterion i was basing it on was weight). one of which is the owner's choice, and the other is what it is. a reduction in weight is always good, i'd rather have to relocate parts on a light car than lighten a heavy one.

if you're concerned about the d/p side weight ratio, im not sure it would change much but you could make an easy bend to the passenger side (esp if you were going for the 5up3|2 JD|\/| style angle exit).

his original question was for the look though, so he has been appeased.

• 1 month later...

I just got an estimate to have muff shop fab a catback for me using 3" midpipe (downpipe to Y-pipe), a pre-made Flowmaster Y-splitter going into 2 1/2 pipes splits to mufflers, and 2 Dynomax mufflers,..Would cost me $880,..ouch!!

Funny thing is, they charge $120 for 2 welds, and $35 for each weld to mufflers,.that is why so expensive,..Better off saving for Stromung catback...

Anyways an idea to fab something up myself,.I figure I can get a N1 type 3" inlet type muff off Ebay for $70, have muff shop fab a straight 3" pipe with flange from downpipe going straight with a bend to driver side welded up to the N1 for maybe $250-$300,...At least I can save the rest for up/downpipe combo,..I would have a single exhaust only, but same effect, just wont have the look...

Btw, when I was at muff shop getting estimate, had them cutout the resonator with about 3" at intake side and 5" or so at exhaust side of of stock pipe to/from resonator cut off so as to maximize the length of the 2 1/2" pipe they welded in,..Sounds a little better, but the axle back really got to go,..To restricted out there and the aftermarket axle backs are really too expensive,..Cost $70,..

I have a 2.5" single custom Apexi N1 exhaust... i would love to post pics, but i don't know how to.... (hence the "New Member"... haha)... i have redone the angle twice now, thinking which way would look the best. The first time I had my single N1 exhaust installed was with a 3" pipe. it didn't sound as that good (well.. to my preference), so i redid the piping to 2.5". it sounds a lot deeper and has a distinctive growling sound.

chris

Archived