LegacyGT.com

Extended warranty on a used 2010 LGT??

jonsocal

OK, I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 LGT with 15K on it. The question remains, should I buy the Subaru "Security Gold Plus" warranty or just stick with the standard? I am purchasing this from a Subaru dealership. The car was a demo for the Regional Service Manager who works for SOA. He turned it in at 15K and I am looking to pick this up. The transmission and motor are the same or similar to the previous model of LGT I think. (Maybe the tranny is a bit different). Anyhow, are there any issues that would make me want to pay for the extended warranty? Please let me know. BTW the cost for the warranty is what they call a "deal" at $1,664.00. Thanks in advance for your help.

I picked up my 05 with 20k on it a few years ago. I purchased the Security Gold Plus for $1050 or somewhere near that.

It has since paid for: Wheel bearings (front), lower control arm bushings, cv boots, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, vf40 turbo and two intercoolers among other things. I have never bought one before on any other car I've owned, but I'm glad I bought it on the LGT...although still frustrated the car is in the shop all the time.:spin:

Alaskajoel - Thanks for your input. I have been wavering on the extended warranty stuff. My job is as outside sales in a large regional area so I expect to put a ton of miles (smiles) on my car. That is one of the reasons for the extended warranty. Yours seems to have had a ton of issues for the mileage. Is this due to the fact that you live Alaska (CV boots, control arms, etc.)? I thought that these were supposed to be pretty reliable vehicles. interesting....

Alaskajoel - Thanks for your input. I have been wavering on the extended warranty stuff. My job is as outside sales in a large regional area so I expect to put a ton of miles (smiles) on my car. That is one of the reasons for the extended warranty. Yours seems to have had a ton of issues for the mileage. Is this due to the fact that you live Alaska (CV boots, control arms, etc.)? I thought that these were supposed to be pretty reliable vehicles. interesting....

I only grew up in Alaska - The first 50k miles of my car's life was in the Dallas area, and the rest have been in the mountain west. Wheel bearings are a known problem, as well as the plastic endtanks on the intercooler and the VF40 turbo problems. I'm certain your turbo set up is very different than mine, and I know nothing about the new 6spd transmission you have - I'm sure someone else could offer more insight. The reliability history on the 2010+ is scarce due to how new they are, but if it's anything like my 2005, I would buy the warranty. Other members have had different experiences, and may say otherwise.

One other thing - when I bought mine, the Subaru dealership wouldn't budge on their warranty price of $1500-ish... You can shop around to find a better deal on the gold plus. I called about a dozen dealers, and the best I found was in Houston. They just needed a picture of my VIN plate, mileage, and a couple other things emailed to them, and faxed the paper work to me. Saved me several hundred.

Just shop around. Be sure to compare apples to apples with the Gold package (i.e. mileage/ deductable). I got a good deal on my 7yr/ 70k Gold w/ $100 deduct.

Also you can buy it at anytime before the bumper to bumper runs out, so no rush.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

OK, can any of you out there tell me what the "Certified Used Car" at a Subaru dealership means to me. I just found one that is considered "Certified" and they are telling me that the 6yr 100k mi warranty is as good or better than the Gold w/deductible warranty offered by the other dealer. What do you guys think? What can you tell me about the certified used car from the Subaru dealer? Thanks again in advance.

OK, can any of you out there tell me what the "Certified Used Car" at a Subaru dealership means to me. I just found one that is considered "Certified" and they are telling me that the 6yr 100k mi warranty is as good or better than the Gold w/deductible warranty offered by the other dealer. What do you guys think? What can you tell me about the certified used car from the Subaru dealer? Thanks again in advance.

CPO has nothing to do with the extended warranty. Be sure you are inquiring about the SOA backed extended warranty.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

You can buy Subaru extended warranty at any point before the car reaches 36k or reaches 36 month since in-service date. And you generally can shop around for that warranty, making different dealerships compete. So don't buy it just yet.

If you are not convinced and still considering this warranty - keep in mind that there are Gold and Silver (or however it is called now) levels. First is similar to bumper-to-bumper warranty, the second is similar to powertrain. They all come with deductibles and different length of coverage and have a turbo surcharge for LGT. I think I got mine for smth close to 1600, for 7yr/100k mile+$0 deductible plan.

It is also refundable if you're still under basic warranty, and transferable for ~$50 to the next owner.

I purchased my 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE in October and got the Gold plus warranty on a certified car for only $250. (6 years or 100k miles) Thats 200 under dealer cost. 6 years from my purchase date (October 09) and 100k miles total miles on the car. The dealership really wanted to move the car and I was strongly content on a warranty. Worked out great for me. The warranty covers anything on the car that is mechanical only, not cosmetic. I've taken it in a few times for small things and they were replaced without a problem. Very nice to have the peace of mind with the Gold Plus.

I like the sound of the Gold Plus as I am hoping to get the most complete warranty available. Being that this is the first year of the new body style and much of the running gear is new, I want the peace of mind that they are going to fix any possible issues that may arise. I'm not sure how to best approach the dealership as they are saying that the Certified Previously Owned cars carry a great warranty. I need to see the difference between the CPO warranty and Gold Plus warranty for myself on paper. I am sure that there is a difference, I am just not sure what it is yet. Also, there is so little repair information for the 2010 LGT's out there yet. If someone has had some issues, I would love to hear what to look out for.

I went with the gold warranty when I purchased my LGT used (~10k). Dealer offered it to me for around $800 I believe so I thought it was definitely worth it over the life of the warranty. If nothing else it gives me piece of mind plus towing and rental car which I no longer needed to add to my insurance.

There is a lot of margin on these warranty's.

I extended the 3/36 on my new '10 LGT to 5/60 for $400 with $0 deductible. The finance manager started at $1400. I bet he would have went lower, I threw out "I'll take it for $400" to try and get him to give it up. Should have said $200....

Archived