LegacyGT.com

What both the GTO and the SRT-8 need are sophisticated auto trannys. The SRT-8 should have the new M-B seven speed auto that works so well, and the GTO should have at least a 5 speed auto. These will cure the gas mileage problems, and bring more people into the fold who may want to buy them. Enthusiasts will always crave a manual, but the general public wants a choice that gives them the best of both.

Just my opinion.

Jesse

IIRC, the SRT8 has the MB 5-speed auto. It doesn't have the cylinder deactivation of the base 340 HP Hemi, but I didn't think that mileage was that bad in the tests.

When you are buyng a 425 HP 4,000# full-size sedan, gas mileage is not at the top of the list. It was not even a concern for me in buying the LGT. I watch the mileage as a novelty, but in deciding between big performance cars lke a 5-series BMW or an SRT8, I wouldn't care. The price of gas is part of the cost of enjoying a performance car.

Ron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was considering a GTO. When I was looking at the GT and the GTO, I could've picked up the GTO for under 25g's...of course it was an 04, so that's why it was cheap, but it was tempting. It's a great car, but my priorities were elsewhere....gas mileage and awd. The SRT-8 is a sweet car, and also the charger in my opinion. Of course I've already ownded 2 Impala SS's...a 94 and 96. The last one I had (the 96) had extensive motor work and got 14mpg on the HIGHWAY...that's the reason I got rid of her. I'm a muscle car guy and GM guy at heart, but my job doesn't support that yet. I will say though, there's nothing like ripping on it and have 4,300 lbs of fury wailing down the road sideways. It was the most amazing car to drive. I could light up the tires from a 65mph roll....It was scary to drive, but sweet nonetheless. If it wasn't for the winters, and rising gas prices, and if I was out of college, I would own a v-8 RWD american family sedan!

Just drove a GTO today while getting my oil changed. Gotta say I was not too impressed. I expected more from 400hp, but then it was an automatic. Guy said there aren't any standards in CA right now(maybe hust a line to sell his auto). The dealer had put on larger wheels and whenever you accelerated quickly they rubbed and made a horrible noise. The seat was comfy, like sitting in a oversized leather lounger, but the rest of the interior looked cheasy and cheap. Visibility seemed poor as well, as if the windshield was too sloped and therefore left a narrow field of view.

I prefer my LGT by a long shot, much more fun to drive. But that's just me. I would be curious to feel the difference in a manual GTO.

a 5spd auto would be great on these cars. better mileage (as stated) but you would also be able to throw a ton of HP at it (not to say you can't do that with their current tranny's) and get consisent 1/8th and 1/4mi times. i do realize that most people don't live "a 1/4 mile at a time" and see no use for an auto..but for those of us that do, auto tranny's is where it's at (unless you're runing gear jammers..which i highly doubt anyone would do with a goat and a srt-8)!

Kenda

Lots to like about the Goat.

Got to drive one at a GM drive event (along with Vette, CTS-V, etc). Was tempted for a little bit..

Points to like:

1) power - yeehaa!

2) cheap - the '04s were going for $23-25K after discounts

Points not to like:

1) GM product

2) '04 is ugly/nothing special (depends on opinion)

3) GM product

4) 2-door - needed a 4 door

5) GM product

6) No AWD

7) GM product

8) Small trunk/not very practical.

It may be a 4-passenger Vette, but I've heard the Vette has the worst maintenance/reliability of any GM car.

HV

Yes, its a two door. Jesse, slap sum snow tires on it and it may be good enough, it has traction control.

Dave, you're probably right about dipping into it, but doesn't your leggys mileage get kinda bad after dipping into it?

Snow tires and traction control on my Rx-8 (which has the torque of a moped) didn't prevent the thing from goin all over. 400+ft/lbs.......f^ck that!

Like I've said to my bro-in-law with his twin turbo Vette....."You have 550hp for 4 months out of the year, I will end up with 400hp??? (hopefully...:D) AWD HP 12mos out of the year." :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

ROFL. :lol:

Anything over 2hp (not a typo) just isn't right in any two-wheel-drive format. ;)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Snow tires and traction control on my Rx-8 (which has the torque of a moped) didn't prevent the thing from goin all over. 400+ft/lbs.......f^ck that!

Like I've said to my bro-in-law with his twin turbo Vette....."You have 550hp for 4 months out of the year, I will end up with 400hp??? (hopefully...:D) AWD HP 12mos out of the year." :D

Huh :cool: , my roommate has an Rx8 with the standard tires and he said he didn't have much trouble this psat winter in his.

I don't blame you for wanting to kick yourself, super low payments would give you more money to spend on gas :D

Not to mention rental cars during all those recalls GM is becoming famous for!

HV

one thing that hasn't been pointed out about the americanization of the holden

it dosn't turn any more .85 g on a skid plad pleese ...

What does the Holden get? I think that's kind of respectable for a 3700lb car with stock tires, doesn't the LGT get about the same?

I could have got my hands on a new 04(less HP) for around $24000. Kind of kicking myself would have been a fun car.

Are you kidding me? How many people were/are still kicking themselves for not buying an '84 Crossfire Injected Corvette?

The '05 LS2 GTO quickly destroyed any salvagable resale value the '04 could have had (which wasn't much).

Are you kidding me? How many people were/are still kicking themselves for not buying an '84 Crossfire Injected Corvette?

The '05 LS2 GTO quickly destroyed any salvagable resale value the '04 could have had (which wasn't much).

True..

Hmm. Just got a good job offer, may need a 2nd car soon..

Hmm. Maybe I can get a really good deal on an '04 GTO w/ manual :-)

HV

Guest JessterCPA

Wow! I forgot about those. Two-Two barrels. They are worth about as much as an 1983 Corvette. :)

Jesse

This is not quite true... The 2005 GTO has actually helped the resale of the 2004's. When the 2004's were at their lowest prices (December I believe), guys on our board (www.ls1gto.com) were getting them for under $20,000 in some cases. The popularity of the 2005's (the GTO had its best month ever in March of 05) along with the 400HP LS2, reduced production, much tighter availability (ordering for the 05's ended on April 28th), and dealers not gouging like they did for the 04's has all helped build up the resale on the 04's. These factors along with the "tweaks" the 05 GTO has added as well as the added publicity in the press have all helped improve the value of the 04's. Also, since the 2005's are so hard to find (by comparison) combined with the fact that the pricing has pretty much been holding above invoice, the 2004 has become a "poor man's" alternative to the 2005. Besides - with the money you save over a 2005, you can end up with way more than 400HP! Here's a nice bolt-on kit that will run you about $5,000: http://www.ststurbo.com/_04_pontiac_gto_turbo_system

Coming from somebody who actually has both a 2005 Legacy GT and a 2004 GTO, I'd like to think I'm qualified to speak on the subject :D

And you are also extremely biased......

The '04 GTO is dead on the market, and the GTO, in general, won't be worth anyhting in the coming years. GM has killed the platform that was to be the new GTO, and the car will be an orphan within a few years.

And, as someone who has owned a few orphan cars in the distant and recent past, the value will be squat.

I personally know two extreme Pontiac fans who have driven, and then passed, on a new GTO. GM tried, but this is a failure on their part.

Ron

And you are also extremely biased......

The '04 GTO is dead on the market, and the GTO, in general, won't be worth anyhting in the coming years. GM has killed the platform that was to be the new GTO, and the car will be an orphan within a few years.

And, as someone who has owned a few orphan cars in the distant and recent past, the value will be squat.

I personally know two extreme Pontiac fans who have driven, and then passed, on a new GTO. GM tried, but this is a failure on their part.

I'm not looking to start a war here, but the Zeta platform (and the next GTO) is not "dead" as you claim... Just go here http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/search.php?searchid=710900 and read some of the newer posts. Also, check out the following article: http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B668A5E11B1B0537CA256FE2001036F6

The GTO has received generally favorable press (save for the styling) and is a really nice car. When I bought the GTO in November, I had the opportunity to check out the 05 Mustang GT... With the exception of the exterior styling (which I personally don't like the rear end of), I felt it was an inferior vehicle to the GTO.

Most of us on the board who bought the GTO did so because it was a Holden Monaro - not because it was the resurrection of an icon from 40 years ago. Does it live up to the GTO namesake, perhaps not - is it an excellent GT performance coupe, yes...

There is "speculation" that it may not be dead, but officially, it is still dead. Here is one of the many articles:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/columnists/chambers_williams/11444112.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Regardless, that is a red herring issue. Whether built here or in Australia, they have already given enthusiasts a bad taste (see: Mercury Marauder).

When your buddy down the street buys a new '05 Mustang GT, and both of you keep your cars for 20 years, I KNOW which one will still be worth some $$$ beyond scrap metal......and it won't have GM anywhere on it.

Enjoy your car for what it is.....but don't get your hopes up.

Ron

True, while Zeta is still undecided, GM's position on RWD performance vechicles is not. Here are comments from Bob Lutz directly: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/03/zeta_not_the_en.html

As far as my GTO in 20 years, I have no idea what my GTO will be worth in 20 years - I buy cars for today. Seeing that GM built less than 16,000 GTO's in '05 and Ford is planning to produce 192,000 Mustangs for '05, the GTO is and will be much harder to find. As to which will be more desirable 20 years down the line, I'm no fortune teller...

That being said, I will be replacing my 2004 GTO with a 2007 Z06 next year anyways! I buy cars based on if they are good vehicles and don't really care about brand, legacy (no pun intended), styling (I drive a station wagon), etc. The GTO (for me) represented what I felt was the best compromise at the time and for the money ($26K). Every car is a compromise, it just comes down to what you're looking for and are willing to sacrifice... Unless something truly amazing comes out in the next year, that's what I also feel about the C6 Z06 - it's the best compromise for the money.

One thing I do know for sure, I'm really impressed with my '05 Legacy and my '04 GTO! I consider myself very fortunate to be able to own these two outstanding vehicles :D

Archived