LegacyGT.com

In my shopping for a new car I went and test drove a '05 GTO 6MT. "DAMN" sums up my impression of the car. From the moment the salesman started the thing up, my jaw dropped in hearing that rumble. Letting out the clutch and punching it provokes childhood faces :eek: and laughter. I'm sure driving it like that will also induce the same face after getting gas and looking at your fuel mileage.

Why did I drive this you may ask. 1.) sh!t's and giggles 2.) because it costs slightly more than the Leggy LGT 3.) EPA says the mileage for both is about the same 4.) GTO is cheaper on insurance, don't ask me how, maybe due to the kids don't drive it factor 5.) I actually like the way it looks

Now some things I didn't like was the size of the trunk, my '89 corolla GT-s trunk was bigger (before I put a 3cu ft. sealed bandpass subwoofer box in it). Plus, it weighs a whole hell of a lot (3700lbs).

So, we start out on the highway, I slowly turn onto the ramp and my friend and his dad are in the car. My friend is sitting in back saying "punch it, punch it," who am I to deny that request. So I punch it................10-90mph in a matter of less than 7 seconds. That rumble is almost enough to make you buy the car on the spot, that spot being the dealership not at 95 on the on ramp. Slowing down to get a feel for a normal cruising speed at 65-70, drop it from 6th to 3rd and again we play pin the human to the seat.

Never listened to the stereo, you only listen to it when test driving a boring car or when you are looking at buying that week or something.

The interior trim I was very impressed with, I'm a hardcore honda/acura guy since my dad sells Acura. Though I wasn't expecting it to measure up, it does not feel like a GM product built in the U.S. Not saying there aren't any cheap feeling pieces (aluminum look plastic on parking brake), but it's quite decent. An odd point here, but doesn't even have the same new car smell of Pontiacs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you're a "traitor" for giving it a go. I must admit that each time I drive past the local Pontiac dealership I get an urge to pull in and test drive the new Goat. Glad to hear it offers all of the performance of a 4-door Vette.

I will probably take the plunge in the next week or so. (Test drive - that is).

Guest JessterCPA

I have to admit, if it wasnt for the snow & winter here, a GTO would be very high on the list.

Jesse

I drove one at the GM autoshow in motion, its nice.. its very similar to ex trans am in driving dynamics.

The reason it doesnt smell like a new GM is because its not. It's a Holden Monaro made in Austrailia and imported here. So techincally you would still be driving an import :)

While the EPA milage estimates seem close, the estimates are 17/25 for the manual and 16/21 for the automatic for the GTO. Think about it, those estimates are by government dudes babying the cars, if you had a GTO you know you would be dipping into it whenever you had the chance, which means you will probably be on the low end of it.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Yes, its a two door. Jesse, slap sum snow tires on it and it may be good enough, it has traction control.

Dave, you're probably right about dipping into it, but doesn't your leggys mileage get kinda bad after dipping into it?

Yes, its a two door. Jesse, slap sum snow tires on it and it may be good enough, it has traction control.

Dave, you're probably right about dipping into it, but doesn't your leggys mileage get kinda bad after dipping into it?

Dont know yet, ive been averging about 21-22 with mixed driving but im just about to finish the 1000 mile break in.. so the next 1000 miles will tell. :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I've been visiting gotforum.com and those guy are getting about 19 in everyday driving, 29 on extended highway.

I saw your link to the holden website, to add insult to injury, they are also bringing a 4wd version Monaro, obviously which we won't get, but they still don't get the LS2 V8 :D

If it wouldn't have been the need for four doors, I'd have been all-over the GTO..... :(

barbeau82 - I'm a married 30-year old male with no bad habits and a clean-slate driving record. I'm surprised, too, that my insurance for the LGT is relatively high. My agent tells me that this is because it's a high-claim car. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio, with Nationwide.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

barbeau82 -

Agreed, the insurance premium isn't anywhere near as bad as it -could- be, LOL! :)

Shoulda also mentioned that I'm carrying some seriously hefty coverage and that does impact my premium quite a bit. ;)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yea, I guess I should mention that GTO rate was with a $1000 deductible. Being that I'm single and will be getting 2LT pay once I'm in, that $1000 wouldn't hurt THAT bad. Now the leggy quote I had was with a 500 deduct. All of it was with a decent amount of coverage.

In my shopping for a new car I went and test drove a '05 GTO 6MT. "DAMN" sums up my impression of the car. From the moment the salesman started the thing up, my jaw dropped in hearing that rumble. Letting out the clutch and punching it provokes childhood faces :eek: and laughter. I'm sure driving it like that will also induce the same face after getting gas and looking at your fuel mileage.

Why did I drive this you may ask. 1.) sh!t's and giggles 2.) because it costs slightly more than the Leggy LGT 3.) EPA says the mileage for both is about the same 4.) GTO is cheaper on insurance, don't ask me how, maybe due to the kids don't drive it factor 5.) I actually like the way it looks

Now some things I didn't like was the size of the trunk, my '89 corolla GT-s trunk was bigger (before I put a 3cu ft. sealed bandpass subwoofer box in it). Plus, it weighs a whole hell of a lot (3700lbs).

So, we start out on the highway, I slowly turn onto the ramp and my friend and his dad are in the car. My friend is sitting in back saying "punch it, punch it," who am I to deny that request. So I punch it................10-90mph in a matter of less than 7 seconds. That rumble is almost enough to make you buy the car on the spot, that spot being the dealership not at 95 on the on ramp. Slowing down to get a feel for a normal cruising speed at 65-70, drop it from 6th to 3rd and again we play pin the human to the seat.

Never listened to the stereo, you only listen to it when test driving a boring car or when you are looking at buying that week or something.

The interior trim I was very impressed with, I'm a hardcore honda/acura guy since my dad sells Acura. Though I wasn't expecting it to measure up, it does not feel like a GM product built in the U.S. Not saying there aren't any cheap feeling pieces (aluminum look plastic on parking brake), but it's quite decent. An odd point here, but doesn't even have the same new car smell of Pontiacs.

If you drive mostly highway miles dont worry about the MPG with the 6 speed. My '96 Z-28 got better mileage than my '05 LGT. I always got 23 -25 MPG on my car. With the gearing on these cars 80 MPH comes out to 1800 rpm in 6th. I also know about the "first drive thing" they feel like a pit bull on a leash-"come on let me go!'' Main reason I sold mine it was too crude and the ride was punishing. Have not tried a 400 hp GTO.

Franklin

It's the Australian Trans-Am coupe!!

Sure, power overcomes a lot of shortcomings, but then you have to live with the two-door and the tiny trunk.

FWIW, I drove next to a new SRT-8 300 the other day. Yeah, a few more $$$ than a GTO, but it's as quick.....if not quicker.....and a whole lot better-looking, IMHO.

The SRT-8 has the best looking wheels in motion that I believe that I have ever seen!

BTW, at the dragstrip a couple of weeks ago, there was the previous 350 HP GTO running mid-14s (yawn).

Ron

The SRT-8 has the best looking wheels in motion that I believe that I have ever seen!

Didn't know what a SRT-8 was so I searched and came up with a Chrysler 300C SRT8, Dodge Magnum SRT8 and a Dodge Charger SRT8. Not sure which you were referring to, looks like they all share the same engine. My choice would be the Charger.

The Chrysler SRT-8 (300 body) is the only one available right now. The Magnum and Charger will be out later as '06 models.

I agree, I do like the Charger, although many other enthusiasts I talk to hate the Charger. That's good though, as with the 300C, people love it or hate it, but there are enough who love it to be a sales success.

I believe that it was C&D that got a 13.3 out of their test SRT-8. Pretty good for a 4,000# full-size sedan. If they offered a manual tranny, there would be more sales among folks I know.

I live about 10 miles north f the D-C US HQ in Auburn Hills MI, and a lot of folks in my sub are D-C (Chrysler) employees (based on all of the new D-C cars here).

FWIW, a friend-of-a-friend works for MSX, that does a lot of the D-C dyno work. They put a set of the 6.1 425 HP SRT-8 Hemi headers on a standard 340 HP Hemi, and got an extra 25 HP on an engine dyno. They would be a great update for the standard exhaust manifolds on the base Hemi.

Ron

This thread just keeps getting better. ;) If I had an extra $10K, I would've more than likely pony'ed up for the 300C SRT-8, despite it being RWD.

Why wouldn't the wife let me funnel funds from the TSi sale into the new buy? This is why. :lol:

-A

Yea, the SRT-8 is an auomatic only and gets worse mileage than the GTO. Hemi's may make power but they have the fuel efficiency of an Abrams Tank.

Small trunk on the GTO, not a big deal to me. I've had an 89 Corolla GT-S for the past 5 years and had a smaller trunk due to the 3 cu ft. subwoofer box I had in it. The only way I could put stuff in the trunk was by folding the back seats, not to forget, all I really put back there was jumper cables and other small stuff.

On a side note, I'm anti-american car as it is, its bad enough I'm considering the GTO. Then again, the GTO isn't built by the UAW using typical GM domestic parts, so its kind of an import. :cool:

Guest JessterCPA

What both the GTO and the SRT-8 need are sophisticated auto trannys. The SRT-8 should have the new M-B seven speed auto that works so well, and the GTO should have at least a 5 speed auto. These will cure the gas mileage problems, and bring more people into the fold who may want to buy them. Enthusiasts will always crave a manual, but the general public wants a choice that gives them the best of both.

Just my opinion.

Jesse

Archived