LegacyGT.com

Strut upgrade?

Zac88

I went with Bilsteins for one reason. I like their stuff. It's always been high quality and always provided a great ride. I don't race the car, and I probably wont ever race the car. I wanted OEM levels of quality, fit, and finish, with a minimum of install time.

I wasn't let down, and I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

You certainly can't go wrong with either.

goneskiian said it

i do also believe the koni is better due only to the ability to adjust to match the spring

i have used konis on more than a few cars as well as bilsteins , both are very good .

that being said i have never been a big fan of the yellow konis , i like the reds & they are not available for these cars , if i can't have the "gooder" ones i'll go somewhere else .

to completely contradict myself i rode in a koni lgt & really liked it .

cliffnotes :

1: stock blows , koni or bils rocks

2: i overthink things

bac5.2 , do you mean the big funky tapered washer part #20326aa000 that is used for the stock kyb setup but not used for bils ?

i also think that as the bils damper is inverted in the strut housing it would be lateraly stiffer than konis conventional strut design = more stable geometry , combined w/ stiffer tophat = more more stable geometry = better feel

Probably? I don't know. I used Spec-B top hats with no washer. It doesn't make sense why you couldn't use stock top hats and a washer if you wanted to. I didn't want to disassemble my stock struts. Plus, my situation was very different. I have an Outback, not a LGT. Koni's would have cost me more than Bilsteins.

As far as lateral stiffness goes, that was the first thing I noticed. It is SO massively improved, it's ridiculous. Everything feels rock solid now, way better than before.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Hmm, I'm not sure. I didn't get to compare them side-by-side.

I guess if you could use stock top hats... people would have by now.

What's the difference between Koni Yellows and Koni Reds? Since my Koni experience is only Subaru related, I didn't even know they made something other than yellows.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

yellows are the street based mid performance stuff , reds are more hardcore high performance oriented , good enough for some racing classes, ussually just shy of twice the dough

difference is valve design & shim stacking , most apps have "top out" &/or "bottom out" valves , like 2 stage valving , as it goes through the last part of the first 3/4 of stroke the 4th 4th of stroke is stiffer if the piston speed is high enough & oil is flowing through that "dedicated" port to slow down the action & prevent hard bottoming/topping.

reds rock like iron maiden

yellows are like steve miller band

stock is like barbera streisand

some of the top shelf roadrace bike shocks have this stuff as well as seperate high/low compression & reb damping adj , not cheap , a 2500.00 -5000.00 shock is not all to uncommon at top level ama & world teams .

some m/c shocks are "valued" at over 100k , i call bullshite but typical motogp suspension for f/b of bike will cost 50-100k

the koni yellows or bils for 800 bucks gets you 95% of the valving/damping performance of a 5-10k coilover setup , no ?

it's that last little bit that our subies will never need that is so hard to tune & costs an arm & a leg .

I'm running Konis on the front and Bilstien HDs on the back with Eibach springs. With the Konis set on full soft, they match the HDs pretty well. That should tell you how much adjustment the Konis have.

I also have my BC Racing BRs listed in the classifieds right now, and I'll be listing a set of stock struts, a set of Monroe Sensatracs, and my rear HDs as soon as I get a pair of Konis for the rear. The list pretty much covers my experience with LGT struts!

Archived