LegacyGT.com

Still no word on the '06???

If your Audi is reliable, it's at the end of the bell curve. I have quite a bit of experience with Audis and VW's. Reliability will not be guaranteed if you get another. It's highly unfortunate because I think they're one of the nicest cars on the market otherwise.

It shouldn't be long before more info on the '06 is available. Even as it stands, the LGT is best value on the market.

My view exactly. :)

The nav system sure would be nice to have, but it's a novelty that's passed off as convenience more than necessity.

As for the HIDs, they've got just as many drawbacks as they do benefits - mechanically and "driver-oriented."

Both will certainly push the "luxury" image more, but they're truly not essentials.

-A

HIDs in my opinion is one of many 'status' features a car to have. ie- if you have HIDs on your car, its a sign of luxury, a sign that you're upper class. though that may seem ridiculous, let alone to think that from headlights alone, it's true. most of us here, it may not matter that we dont have that option so far - probably because either we dont care, or we're part of the subaru brand and are utlitarian when it comes to features that come with our cars.

but might i digress...

HIDs in my opinion is one of many 'status' features a car to have. ie- if you have HIDs on your car, its a sign of luxury, a sign that you're upper class. though that may seem ridiculous, let alone to think that from headlights alone, it's true. most of us here, it may not matter that we dont have that option so far - probably because either we dont care, or we're part of the subaru brand and are utlitarian when it comes to features that come with our cars.

but might i digress...

Gotta disagree with you there. A Toyota Prius has HID but the people or the car are hardly "luxury". I think HID is so common these days versus 10 years or so ago when it first hit the market, it doesn't really consider as an luxury option anymore. The same can be said a few years from now that all cars will be have navi. :redface:

The Prius has HID's for the low power usage aspect. HID's use a lot less power for the same light output compared to halogens. Forinstance, I have an HID light for my bicycle (I ride a lot and mtn bike at night). It puts out 45w of light and the battery last for 3.5 hours. I used to have a halogen light from the same company. It used the same size battery but the light out put was 35w and the battery only lasted 1.5hrs.

the only thing im not 100% is the colors. Rumors of the dark grey thats on the tribeca have been floating............the rest im 100% from SOA's mouth to your ears.

2.5i will get 7-10 more ponies.

Garnet red should give way to "mohagany red" from tribeca.(not 100%)

Mike....

but might i digress...

You are correct to a degree, 90% of the cars I see with xenon lights are your Acuras, MB, BMW, Audi and Nissan (hardly upscale but there're aiming higher).

Like al new technology, the upscale get it first and then soon everyone will have access to them. Prius has them, the Focus had them for a bit, I wouldn't doubt it if the next Accord or the last model year/next redesign of the LGT will get them.

Frankly, HID's are badass if you ask me but so are DVD's compared to VHS, son we'll all be used to them and think nothing different.

"Granite Grey" - the same color as the grey cladding on two-tone outbacks. The green color is a different green. They will still keep Willow Green for the OB (and all current colors for that matter). The new color is mason or moss green - lighter and brighter than the old timberline green from years past.

I know Acura/Honda, but not subarus

Me neither, just relaying info ;)

I think this is the 'timberline green':

http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/newyork/coverage/images/05_subaru_forrester_side_jf_230.jpg

the new color will be a bit lighter.

I don't have HID's on my A4 but have driven cars with them and find that there is a benefit in certain conditions... for example in rural roads they absolutely do a better job at lighting road lines, markets, and signs. Simalrly, the projectors on the A4 are superior to the reflector beams on the GTI headlights which are superior to the units on my '92 Miata. I'm not saying they are a necessity (at all) in whatever I buy, but I DO believe in making an educated decision on a major purchase based on all available info. If there is info available on the '06, why shouldn't I take that into consideration when deciding what to buy?

I don't have HID's on my A4 but have driven cars with them and find that there is a benefit in certain conditions... for example in rural roads they absolutely do a better job at lighting road lines, markets, and signs.....

The former seems to my eyes, at least, to be a benefit of a very, very evenly distributed foreground to mid-range. This "whitewashes" the entire area without any loss due to beam artifacts, which are more common with incandescents (even with relatively superior projectors).

As for picking out road markings and signs, I think the superior lighting you're perceiving (and more than likely actually getting as well) is two-fold.

First, the differently colored light (than what we're more used to with incandescents, particularly if you're only a "part time driver" of that vehicle) causes road markings and signs to visually stand out more. This effect can even be seen with ricy and improper "blue bulbs," which, although absolutely piss-poor for road lighting, causes reflective markings and signs to absolutely jump out, even at a distance.

Second, and more likely, is better beam pattern/cut-off. Although this can also be achieved with conventional systems, it just doesn't seem to be as pursued after by most carmakers - especially again with non-projector designs. One interesting thing you'll really notice if you've ever driven an E-code cut-off car (with the optics "reversed" for left-hand drive) is just how awesomely these units light up roadside signs and street-signs. The sharply angled passenger's side departure absolutely pops roadside signs on that side of the road into view.

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived