LegacyGT.com

Fuel System Cleaners?

haven't used one yet on this car, but my understanding is they can't hurt. I use BG Fuel system cleaners in my previous car (outback) and in my wifes car. for that they say to use it every other oil change. their website to find a shop is BGfindashop.com. they have a list of other products that you can use for you car.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yes, and I recommend Red Line's fuel system treatment. GM did a study that noted that the amount of additives required to be put in gasoline is insufficient for modern fuel injected cars. The problem is, the EPA mandated them in the 70's before fuel injection became widely adopted. This has caused numerous warranty returns for clogged fuel injectors and such..

Shell and a few others have voluntarily met or exceeded the manufacturer's proposal for additive levels, but most have not.

The Red Line has 2 dosages, an entire bottle for a quick cleaning, and a small portion added to each subsequent tank to keep things clean. You used to be able to get it at Advance Auto, but now it seems to only be available online.

Check out http://www.redlineoil.com

IMO as long as you're using a 'Top Tier' fuel and do more driving than just short trips a fuel additive shouldn't be necessary. I believe the manual says something to that effect. Wish they'd tell us which fuels are 'top tier' though. I know Chevron is, not sure what else...

Guest JessterCPA
IMO as long as you're using a 'Top Tier' fuel and do more driving than just short trips a fuel additive shouldn't be necessary. I believe the manual says something to that effect. Wish they'd tell us which fuels are 'top tier' though. I know Chevron is, not sure what else...

So when I fill up at Chuck's Gas-O-Rama, I may not be getting 'Top-Tier' fuel?

at least use the Valvoline Injector cleaner or the complete fuel system cleaner at every 7,500 or 15,000 mile intervals.. I am about to get some Redline soon as I would like to have some when I am at the track.. nothing wrong with cleaning injectors when they are at 85% duty cycle :p

Keefe

Keefe

i just reacently got my '97 GT and put Lucas's "fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant" in a couple tanks and noticed a huge difference. I GET AN EXTRA 30 MILES TO A TANK!! i used it in my dad's dodge caravan and it has the digital display that tells the MPG, and he's getting 1.5 more mpg. its good stuff.

Archived