LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Timing belt service parts list

I'm putting together a timing belt parts list, that is, the parts which should be replaced when doing the timing belt service. Here's what I have so far:

TB_Parts.jpg

Then I found this pic while looking for EJ255 engines and wonder if there's more stuff that should be replaced while in there:

EJ255.jpg

So if anyone has a complete list of what's recommended to be changed during a 105K service, it would be greatly appreciated. Also I know the studs for the idler pulleys should be changed, but I can't find any part numbers or items for them. Are they built into the block, or is it a bolt? If you have a recommended source for OEM parts that would be great too, but I'm using this list as a negotiating point with the dealer pre-purchase, so this is more for information now than actual purchase of said parts.

Thanks,

Tony

I didn't replace the seals on my engine.

Fred Beans Subaru is a vendor and supporter of this forum. We like to recommend that you buy parts from them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't replace the seals on my engine.

Fred Beans Subaru is a vendor and supporter of this forum. We like to recommend that you buy parts from them.

Yes, a friend of mine recommended Fred Beans. I had just used the other site for the exploded diagrams and retail pricing.

Just found the TB kit on FBS, all components made by Gates. I know Gates is a good brand in general, and I know that Subaru doesn't actually make their components, but is Gates the OE supplier for these parts. If not, do people commonly use them as an equivalent replacement?

The car I'm purchasing has 98K on the clock, so initially, before test driving I asked the dealer to replace the TB prior to purchase. After test driving, I've discovered all the struts are blown, so they'll need to replace those as well. Now I don't see them doing both jobs at the same asking price, so if I had to concede one set of parts, I'd rather pay for the TB parts than the struts, as the TB job "should" cost less parts wise than the strut replacement. The TB was also a request as preventative maintenance.

Thanks,

T

I went with all my parts from Advance Auto Parts, with coolant the parts were around $550 I think. I can't remember, my thread is inthe DIY forum i think

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're having the timing belt replaced, have them throw in a new thermostat and gasket. You might as well since you're in there. Also, for the cost of the cam and crank seals, for the love of god, REPLACE THEM WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE! JESUS. The seals can't be more than $10 a whack and if you do a t-belt job and have oil leaking from behind the t-belt cover a week later you're gonna hate yourself. Sooooo many people overlook this and it drives me craaaaazzzzyyyy :spin:

On a side note, if I'm understanding your posts correctly and you are choosing b/t having a t-belt job done vs. all four struts replaced, you may want to give it some serious thought. Depending on the type of struts you want installed, the t-belt may actually be cheaper. Also FYI don't forget that if you have new struts put in you'll need an alignment as well.

If you're having the timing belt replaced, have them throw in a new thermostat and gasket. You might as well since you're in there. Also, for the cost of the cam and crank seals, for the love of god, REPLACE THEM WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE! JESUS. The seals can't be more than $10 a whack and if you do a t-belt job and have oil leaking from behind the t-belt cover a week later you're gonna hate yourself. Sooooo many people overlook this and it drives me craaaaazzzzyyyy :spin:

On a side note, if I'm understanding your posts correctly and you are choosing b/t having a t-belt job done vs. all four struts replaced, you may want to give it some serious thought. Depending on the type of struts you want installed, the t-belt may actually be cheaper. Also FYI don't forget that if you have new struts put in you'll need an alignment as well.

Thanks guys. When I first inquired about the car, they said they'd "do the timing belt before I picked it up if I decided I wanted the car". They literally meant the timing belt only, not the full 105K service. They did the T-belt job prior to purchase. They only wanted to pay for the belt and labor, that's it, LOL!!! The "master tech" at the dealer said he didn't have to replace the tensioner because it looked fine. I did everything short of calling him an idiot and told them to change it on my dime. I asked the service manager "OK, if you don't want to replace the tensioner, I'd like you to guarentee the belt will be fine for another 105K miles." That's when the waffling began. I also had them replace all pulleys. I don't think they did the seals, I know, I know, but whatever. If it begins to leak oil I'll just have them changed out. I didn't want to argue with them too much, because I kinda needed the car ASAP (other daily got totaled and wife needed her car back).

They replaced the rear struts and aligned the car free of charge. The rears were completly blown. They said they'd pass inspection and I laughed in their face. They hadn't even driven the car, I did. Can't BS a BSer, they probably pushed on the back and said "meh they're fine" The fronts they left alone, because they're not bad.

Overall I got a great deal on the car and I'm very happy so far. Once I get all the service records transfered into my Excel sheet I'll figure out what's next on the to-do list for maintenance. I'm pretty sure the clutch will be next, so I'm hoping to have a little put aside for a up and down pipe combo at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Archived