LegacyGT.com

Tire Pressures

sumfoo1

What tire sizes are you running and what pressure are you running them at.

I'm thinking about going to 235/40/r17s but to get anymore traction out of them i should run 9/10% less air pressure in them.

Just checking to see if everyone else does that or not?

You should stick to the recommended pressures, or *increase* the pressures to increase grip. Higher tire pressures will help the tire keep its shape when under load. This keeps more of the contact patch against the road, and therefore gives you more grip.

Lowering pressures may seem like it would get you more grip by allowing the tire to conform to the road, but the problem is that the construction of the tire doesn't like this. The tread area will squirm and deform which will lower grip.

Now, granted, the higher pressure = higher grip thing works on a curve. After a certain point the higher pressure will start to deform the tire and lift the edges of the contact patch from the road. Best bet for street tires is to keep them in the high 30s when warm if you want grip. Also, keep the pressures front-to-rear within the same ratio as the stock pressures. That will be kinder to your center diff.

I would do Nitrogen...

In race tires..

If I was competing at a national level..

For money..

With a chance at the championship..

Otherwise, there's no need for the increased pressure stability from Nitrogen. I don't think anyone really cares if their tire pressures increase an extra 0.5psi on warm days.

Archived