LegacyGT.com

94 twin turbo with blow offs not firing when starting

hi there - jumped in ma subi the other day and tryed to start her - its like she doesnt have enough spark to turn over - she wants to start as you can here it - checked the battery and thats all good - could it be the spark plugs????? and if so where are those situated and what kind do i need to ask for in the shop! help!!!!!

I use NGK and have had good luck with them in several different cars. Could it be the plugs? Maybe, I'd pull a plug and see if it's firing first, no spark or weak spark and the plugs look bad change them. If the plugs look OK then hows the wire set look. If it's got a good spark I'd check the fuel filter next.

By saying the car wants to start, is the motor actually turning over when you are turning the key all the way forward? If the motor is spinning and the car is not starting than the next steps would be to check for spark and fuel. If the motor is not even spinning than your starter is most likely faulty. The spark plugs have nothing to do with the motor turning over or not. Their only purpose is to ignite at a certain time in the combustion cycle. If the spark plugs are good than start tracing backwards, plug wires, ignition coil, ecm...etc. If you have spark than check for fuel pressure.

yes the motor semi turned over but then made the rururururu noise after trying to start - jus got a new starter motor put in about 6 months ago so i dont think it is that - goin to change spark plugs and lines as i think they need it and check coil at the same time - then if that dosent start her then next is the fuel filter, pressure,etc to check - thanx for ur advise guys much appreciated! wish me luck finding the good dang things in the motor! any dummys guides to changing spark plugs???? would be most helpful!

STOP!! So the motor turned over for a few seconds only than stopped and just made a noise. How did you check your battery? How are you connections from the battery to the starter? How is your ground cable connected to the chassis on the car? How are your connections at the battery? Make sure the battey connections are not loose. Just because the starter motor is new does not mean it can't be faulty. Depending on what starter you bought they are rebuilt different ways. If you bought a remanufactured starter, some companies only replace the parts that are faulty and there are still old parts left inside. Do NOT just through money at the car as it will only frustrate you further. I highly doubt its your spark plugs, wires.

STOP!! So the motor turned over for a few seconds only than stopped and just made a noise. How did you check your battery? How are you connections from the battery to the starter? How is your ground cable connected to the chassis on the car? How are your connections at the battery? Make sure the battey connections are not loose. Just because the starter motor is new does not mean it can't be faulty. Depending on what starter you bought they are rebuilt different ways. If you bought a remanufactured starter, some companies only replace the parts that are faulty and there are still old parts left inside. Do NOT just through money at the car as it will only frustrate you further. I highly doubt its your spark plugs, wires.

I have to agree if it's not turning over then it's not the plugs and or wires.

Did you do a voltage test on the battery? Should be around 13-14 volts running and maybe 9-10 while cranking but yours could be low if you've been cranking it some. May need to charge it a low battery will give the same symptoms.

If it's the starter you might try tapping on the starter with the end of a hammer (not the hammer end) or something and trying to start again.

hi guys thanx for the information - took spark plugs out they are filthy, pick new ones up today as i had ta order them in - the batter is fine ready 14 volts so when we install plugs will try kick her over checking starter motor at the same time! will update you as to what happens... been an adventure so far - having spending only $20 as i get massive discout through parts shop thank god have only invested time so far so gratefull for all your help!

ok update on my adventure into starting my car! she is turning over and firing but dies a few seconds later which i am suspecting the starter! am i right in thinking this? to dark to have a look at where that bugger is - having a good look for it and bang when i find it and have ta wait for a dial a friend to turn up first as my loving husband has gone to work (he thanks god for that!) hahaha! tips on spark plugs and pictures? will go into detail when i get back from the school run and sussing my starter... stay tuned bud!

The Starters ONLY purpose is to spin the motor. The starter has a small little gear that pops out, engages the flywheel or flexplate and spins causing the motors internals to spin. Once the Engine Computer is told the motor is spinning it sends a signal to fire the spark plugs and fuel injectors. When you hear the motor start you release the key in the ignition so it falls back a half a turn which tells the starter gear it can return back to its hiding spot!! It has nothing to do with keeping it running. So the engine does run but only for a few seconds? Does it run rough when it is running? Need a video of the car acting up!!! This would help a lot.

trbulnt is right.... u have bigger problems like coil pack or evin leads , have u checked the fuel filter and air filter as such? if one or the other is blocked then its gona run rough as guts and spit and evin die. your starter is fine as long as there isnt n e wierd noises coming from it like soliniod clicking or gears grinding u dont need to touch that, when she dies .. do u try to keep her alive with some throttle play??

when she is running she runs sweet! yes started with some gas and no go! got it checked into a subaru mechanic in the morn as i want her running and im stumped?! coil packs? enlighten me ruskpack, ill try get out and clean the air filter before the morn thanks and i know how to change a fuel filter but how do you check for pressure or blockage in the fuel? sorry if this sounds like a stupid question and if so how do you rectify???

as above the ecu will sence the mtor turning>ecu send info to coilpack to send spark on cylander 1 and 3 and 2 and4 for ( if this is the firering order)> coil pack sends spark down those leads to the spark plugs. if the coil pack is faullty it will only send little or no spark down to the plugs.... how to check electronic coil packs?? that stumed me.... my gess would be to check the plugs( with u just replaces so no need )leads: take each lead off and stick a philips head in each lead ( 1 at a time ) put size 2 philips head in the lead(carefull tho not to stretch the mettel in the lead)place SD on metel to metel against a dark part of the motor ( look for strong blue park ) if its weak then u no that eather the coil pack or leads are gone( also fraied rubber wear on the leads are a good sign of wear..)...... the fuel filter: take the fuel filtewr out and quickly block both ends so none can excape ... then blow the remainding fuel out of the filter if its hard to push the fuel through its blocked ... and if its hard for you its going to be hard for the engine ... and depending on how hard is to how blocked =) i like Carby motors there much less there and its mechanical ... everything does somthing and its all nice and easy lol

your my new god ruskpack! hahaha dont tell my husband hahahaha been getting so much shit bout my broked subi but praying the subi gods are goin to be kind to me with my quote... is there any other way without taking the fuel filter off to check if that is blocked??????

nope a pare of plyers and what ever it is to undo the bracket.... and im no god lol but thank you =) i have only owned myLGT for a week and im already having trouble with it... i gota take mine into sub as well...(boost problems) i carnt evin tell u where it is lol... i recomend that you have some one in the drives seat turning it over for you... and depending on where the filter is it should be a 2 second job dont touch the lead wilst its turning over... ull get one hell of a shock .... and i wont tells :p peace

you wont believe it! its flooded! got quoted to change spark plugs clean lines plus labour $293.00 you are shitting me! goin to clean the coils and leads which we didnt do and booast her on over! guy had her goin for about 10 secs - cranking for 20 mins ta do it but all batterys drained so thats what the expert thinks! am goin to have a bonding weekend with my hubby and clean shit out and get her goin! if that guy can do it - im sure i can... fuel filter fine! found it easy as! sitting right there... goin to clean air filter and see how we go! thanx for all the input let ya know when we are done bonding hahahaha if we dont get a divorce first hehehehe... flooded! wat a joke is all i can say - bloody bitch of a subi! thats why she is a gurl! hahahaha had ta laugh....

subis playing with us both! when we go in and clean the leads ill try and take some pics and post thim on here - after changing the spark plugs goin in a second time ta check and clean leads should be a peice of piss... ill take sum pics and post to help if you wanting to change yours... fidly job if you got big hands so if you have anyone with small hands around - hire them....

Easy way to remove the excess fuel from the combustion chamber is to pull the fuel pump fuse/relay, remove all the spark plugs, and while the plugs are removed crank the engine over. Install new spark plugs, re-install the fuse/relay for the pump and give her a crank to see if she starts. The fact that it flooded still leads me to think something may be wrong with your ignition system.

ok we have tryed and tryed to crank her over and shes being a stubburn bitch! goin to get subaru to run a diagnositic on her... my husband knows a guy that knows a guy and hopefully he will come over and run a diagnostic on her... how much does that sting me????? then will go from there let you all know obviously as help would be much appreciated... ps i am not divorced yet but my hubby and his mate are threatening to dump her down the river hahahahahaha enjoying the rest of my sunday!

Archived