LegacyGT.com

An odd, hopefully dumb question...

So I'm still having coolant issues with my 98 L GT, put the new radiator in and it ran fine for a while with blistering heat being pushed out the the dash and the temp gauge staying fine...then I go to drive it into work and my heat goes cold, temp gauge starts to rise, but only when I'm in gear. I pop the hood and see that my coolant overflow bottle went from being at the full line, to completely full of coolant, and my radiator is low and if I add coolant with the breather screw on the passenger side removed, my car looks like an old steam engine :spin: Now my question is, could a large air bubble in my AT tranny cooler lines going back to the tranny have done this? Also when I disconnected the upper AT cooler line coolant came out, but when I disconnected the lower line, it looked like AT fluid came out...I have a feeling that this isnt right....

Tranny cooler does not affect this.

You still have air in your coolant lines.

Raise front of vehicle, remove radiator cap, use a radiator funnel, keeping it full and let engine idle.

Keep adding fluid as the level goes down. Has to get hot enough for t stat to open and all the trapped air to bubble out.

O.

As posted above tranny has nothing to do with coolant. If won't take any more anti-freeze I'd check the T-stat first. It's easy to do if you have a good thermometer. Put it in a pan of water turn up the heat and watch the T-stat and see what degree it opens at.

hrmm well ok then....i just did a new thermostat and waterpump with the new timing belt so I hope its not that....I guess I'll just keep trying to massage it out...what kills me is that it drove it a good 30miles before taking it out on the highway, then after an easy 15miles of highway driving it just like vomitted all the coolant into the overflow..When I filled up the coolant I filled the heater core from the lower hose while the upper hose was disconnected until the upper flowed with coolant, connect the lower to the block, added some more to the upper heater core hose, then filled the engine via the upper radiator hose until it came out the upper heater core hose, reconnected the heater core hose and filled more via the upper rad hose, then did the radiator...it ran for a while and the coolant went low so I added more coolant but then it drove around town fine....

I'm still a little stumped as to how the AT cooler lines can have both coolant and AT fluid in them...aslo how is it that it will only overheat when in gear, but in neutral or park it cools back down to normal....

sounds like a blown headgasket

A good possibility, check for bubbles and or an oily residue floating in the radiator when you have it full, check the overflow tank for an oily coating too. You can have a hydrocarbon test done too.

A good possibility, check for bubbles and or an oily residue floating in the radiator when you have it full, check the overflow tank for an oily coating too. You can have a hydrocarbon test done too.

hey bro what kind bubles we talkin bro??? like little wthie foam(not much) just floating on the water??? the radeator water is ery rusty and coolent free.... will be flushed and shit before it leaves the drive way....

u need to burp the system. i had the same issue when i did the tb/Water pump. there is a screw on teh pass side of the car on the rad and i think its for burping the system. what i did was cracked the heater core hose open and waited for coolant to come out and then i refilled it and kept refilling it. these cooling systems are a pita i literally sat there for 2 hours burping the thing..

Archived