LegacyGT.com

vf14 rooted??

just bought a 96 LGT with a ej20hd not knowing what i was getting my self into* first turbo car* and the 2nd turbo seems to be acting funny.... first spools up lags then the 2nd spools up i plant it and then the turbo dies i pull off but the bov still goes off... but behind the bov i get this gastly awfull hollow *shhh* sound... the engine has not thrown a code at me yet soo is there a need to check it? i think i read on here a few ppl doing it of the own lappies how does that work?. also what do these cars do if they get a blown head gaskit? will they still start fine ... and if the turbo is gone do i take the 1st off and bolt on a single? lol i love subs but now i own one i relize i no i dick all about them

I have read and re-read your post numerous times and each time my head hurts after trying to figure out what message you are trying to convey. Are you trying to see if your turbos are good while the car is in park or neutral? They will not build boost that way unless you have some sort of anti-lag or 2 step device installed. Do you have a proper boost gauge installed in the car (not a factory one but an actual aftermarket gauge)?

ok welll..... ill try again and sorry, the 1st turbo spools up and makes the noise you would expect from a turbo, when it switches to the 2nd turbo there is a little bit of delay with i no as lag , the 2nd spools up much louder than the first i give it a little bit more throttle up to about 5g and its like the turbo just losses boost . just stops u carnt hear the 2nd turbo at all...... but the bov for the first turbo * im not sure if this right as for this is my first TV* goes off * note: i was told that this thing is the BOV and theres a second on on the otherside of the engine above the 1st turbo if this it true or not im not sure they look stock * actualy there is no boost gagde i thought there was somthing mission from the dash, like i said i only just braoght this car like 3 days ago and yet to take into subaru so i no really sweet eff a about this car ...p.s turns out my truck fucked out on the guy i traded with to hehe

• I Donated

the twin turbo EJ engines are a mystery to us Americans lol.

Maybe your blow off valve is stuck open, allowing all your boost to escape?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

lol soo i have herd .... well thats what i thought also... but my mate only thought that they only had one BOV could this be the case??? do both turbos has a BOV? and how do i find out with out a boost gadge? can i ?? and if i was to get a boost gadge what would the sine of a fucked turbo be? becouse iv never had anything to do with a turbo and i dont think it sounds healthy......

Post some pictures of your engine bay. If the motor is all stock than you really will not hear the blow off valves as they should be re-circulated back into the intake. You can start by inspecting your turbos. With the engine NOT running, remove the intake tube on each turbo and try and wiggle the the turbine inside the housing. There should be little to no play inside the turbo. Next you will want to make sure your wastegates are functioning properly. You can do this with a vacuum pump and verifying when they are opening. IF non of that makes any sense than take the car to a reputable shop and have them diagnose it for you.

Host the pictures on a free remote site like photobucket.com. Copy and paste the link here.

The turbo is just a fancy fan blowing air into the engine. It is driven off the exhaust of the motor and controlled by the wastegate. The wastegate is just a spring loaded diaphragm that opens at a set limit. The sping inside the diaphragm is usually a low rate say like 5 psi. So technically if the turbo were to be boosted to 6 psi, the excessive pressure would force the wastegate open causing that excessive boost to be released so that only 5 psi is forced into the motor. Now a boost controller's job is to trick the wastegate. The boost controller limits the amoung of pressure going to the wastegate so that it thinks its only seeing 3psi when it actually should be seeing 5 psi. This is how higher boost levels are created. It gets allot more complicated as turbos have certain flow characteristics and should be sized accordingly to each engine application based on many variables. But seeing as how your car is stock that will not need to be covered yet.

For those that don't know, the difference between a turbo and a supercharger is that the turbo uses wasted exhaust gas to make boost, and a supercharger uses a belt attached to the crank pulley. Simply put, the turbo uses free energy to make power and a supercharger uses engine energy to acheive the same effect.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/ruskpack1/LEGGACCCIIEEEEE/

ok soo they dont look flash but..... if u look carfully to the left and right of the intercooler.... just above the turbos u will see alopt of vacume lines.... under them is the blow offs..... also had no luck getting the inlets of ai thatshits tight as hell..... i tried to use a screwdire* longest thing i could get down to it* and the shit wouldnt budge

• I Donated

I don't know what else to tell you. I'm fairly inexperienced working with turbos. If I could have my hands on it, I would likely be able to figure it out....but I'm far from knowing enough about it to be able to internet diagnose a problem lol.

I'll tell you what, ship it to me and let me fix it and have some fun with it for awhile! lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Are the BOV aftermarket? Stock turbos that use a waste gate sometimes don't like BOV. Good luck.

Based on his pictures the BOV's look to be stock. I still say buy and install an aftermarket boost gauge and see exactly what is happening with the car when you drive it.

• I Donated
HAHA lol nice try ..... :p she does go very hard tho...... eh ill figer it out i may just take into subaru and say heres a few g fix it ... mod it. tune it..

figure it out on your own and send me that few grand so I can twin turbo my car. Then I will know all about the TT setup and I can provide tech assistance to you lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

lol thats what i really need ai... id rather do it on my own iv got the experience on motors just none with turbos.... im not sure where i read it on here but i can map the ECu through my laptop with adapters? where can i find these??

• 5 months later...

haha sounds like you're having fun... I may be about to jump into the JDM TT boat with you soon so if I get the car I'll have a look round and see what could cause trouble with the setup. (only have a single turbo Supra ATM see).

One thing though, don't think you shouldn't feel any step as if the engine's switching from one turbo to the other, AFAIK twin-turbo setups simply use the smaller turbo to provide quick spinup & boost low down the rev range & the second larger turbo provides the boost at higher revs where the smaller unit can't cope with the airflow requirements & there shouldn't be a switch between turbos as they both are attached to the same exhausts, I/C & intake, it's just the fact that the smaller one works quicker & the larger one works better so any hesitation or "lag" that feels like it's switching between could possibly be overboost causing fuel cut if the ECU has that protective function (on supra turbo, if the turbo shoves more air in than the injectors can supply fuel for the ECU pulls a few degrees of timing & shuts off the fuel altogether momentarily until boost levels fall)

That said I don't know anything about the subaru setup & possibly never will if I don't get this car... One thing I do know is a proper boost gauge would help you diagnose problems with boost since you can see what it's making when & if there is a step/drop off/creep/spike etc.

Archived