LegacyGT.com

drive on doughnut or buy snows?

I had a hell of a time finding Pilot Sports in a 225/55/17 too. I think the Outback is the only car on the road that uses that tire size.

That said, I love the tires.

I thought the tolerance listed in the manual was more than 1/32" though. I thought it was 1/16 or 1/8.

I also love the tires too. the 1/32 is an approximate for the tread depth. I probably should have been more clear though. on a 215/45/r17 tire, 1/32" tread depth is .2 to .25 inches in circumference (depending on actual inflated tire diameter) and assuming you are going from 10/32 to 9/32. There is more tolerance in tire-to-tire tread depth the more you wear off the tread.

Had some more words with sears. Looks like they found a tire somewhere and would have it to me by early next week. That said I will still need to measure the circumference of the mounted tires to make sure they are all within the 1/4" tolerance. Now I need to find some rims that will look good on an ABP LGT.

For rims, Rota Gravels.

For the tire issue, try to find a local race shop that has a shaving machine. Some do, and Tire Rack might be able to recommend one to you. See if they can skim off 1/32.

Or, go see if you can do an extended test drive on a used Scion TC (since they are 5x100). Mount your one wheel to the front and do a big ole burnout. Measure and repeat until you have applied an artificial several thousand miles to the tire and worn off that 1/32!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

For rims, Rota Gravels.

For the tire issue, try to find a local race shop that has a shaving machine. Some do, and Tire Rack might be able to recommend one to you. See if they can skim off 1/32.

Or, go see if you can do an extended test drive on a used Scion TC (since they are 5x100). Mount your one wheel to the front and do a big ole burnout. Measure and repeat until you have applied an artificial several thousand miles to the tire and worn off that 1/32!

I've heard very mixed reviews about rotas.

I've thought about the burnout thing...but with someone i know and not a test drive vehicle.

Where are you located? I am putting up for sale my winter set up, a full set of tires and rims, Dunlop Wintersport 3D 225-40 18 with less than 15,000 miles and plenty of tread left, with Rota Tarmac 3 18 x 7.5 48 offset, clears Brembo's, no curb rash. I am putting together a for sale thread, just took pictures, can email as needed. I will try to post the tire thread this evening. Just giving you a heads up. I traded in my spec B last week and have a bunch of parts going up for sale.

I just picked up the new tire from sears. Measured the circumference and now confused. The new tire, which measures 10/32 tread depth is 1/8" smaller circumference than all my other tires which are 9/32. Keep in mind this is a new unmounted unpressurised tire. How much do new tires stretch when they are first put on?

A lot.

You can't compare an unmounted tire to a mounted tire.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i agree with your logic that I shouldn't measure the tires when they are not mounted and pressurized. However, I'm still confused. I just had all of the tires mounted and balanced and remeasured. The new tire is 1/4" smaller circumference than the old tires. How long does it take the new tire to stretch?

Archived