LegacyGT.com

Notchy Power steering

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a 2005 LGT...This morning on my way to work I got a squeel that increased with RPMS. It was a cold morning and I assumed it was a belt. When I pulled into my parking spot and tried to turn the wheel while not moving, the steering was extremely notchy (would turn a little, get stuck, move alittle, get stuck, etc). I've noticed this a little before, but not nearly this bad.

Any ideas? Hoping this isn't a big deal :cool:

Thanks for any help!

I replaced my powersteering pump because it was doing that. Several other forum members have removed their ps pump, cleaned it out and reinstalled it for the win. If I remember right a system flush and belt adjustment could have fixed it (not on mine, I let it go too long and it ruined the pump unlike some other people)

GL!

My '08 had the rack replaced because of a similar issue... like my power steering would come on and work , then stop working, then come on, then stop... at least that's what they said they replaced... they could have really just replaced the pump though... But my alignment was WAY out on one side when i got the car back... so i dunno.... that pissed me off more then the actual problem.

Goodluck!

• 4 weeks later...

So I thought I got this fixed by tightening the belt up a little. Seemed to help, but now the problem is back and worse. When i'm sitting still I have to really struggle to turn the wheel on pavement (extremely notchy). When its notchy, the belt begins to squeek and it has developed a grinding/clunk from what sounds like the steering rack....Driving completely eliminates the problem. I'm thinking the pump is dying and it just cant put that much effort into moving the tires sitting still...

I'm praying its my pump and not the rack...what do you guys think?

Archived