LegacyGT.com

Coolant Loss

Been watching my coolant level and it appears to be going down in the overflow tank. I top it off to the high cold mark and over a few weeks, it will be almost empty. There are no leaks and I have recently changed the coolant and looked around for any possible solutions. Only has 48k miles for being a 2005. Any suggestions?

You bet I did! Didn't want to chance anything. Same as when I changed the ATF. Used ATF-HP. The coolant level dropping was doing this before the coolant change. I am wondering if I should change the plugs and see if they are really "clean", as in steam cleaned.

2 things might be happening

you have a leak that only leaks when the system is hot and under pressure. Because it's hot, it evaporates quickly. Drive around (aggressively wouldn't hurt) and then check under the hood while things are nice and hot. You'll be sniffing it out first than looking for leaks.

the other possibility is that you have a headgasket issue that overflows your overflow tank while you're out on the road. By the time you get to checking it, the coolant has all been sucked out of the overflow.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Check as many hose connections as you can. My wifes was leaking at the lower radiator hose and just needed a new clamp. Also look at the core to tank connection on the radiator, the plastic tanks can crack over time or leak at the seems. Lastly look near the water pump, if that starts to go it will weep out a hole in the bottom.

The head gasket issue is on the older NA cars as the turbo motors have better gaskets. I put turbo gaskets on my parents 03 NA when it started to leak.

Archived