LegacyGT.com

Separating stock shift knob and boot...

I am trying to figure out how to separate the stock shift knob from the stock shift boot. I don't have the cool Momo knob the LGT's have, it have more subdued stock knob that comes on the OBXT's.Can anyone help out with how to do that? I searched, but was unable to locate how to do it.Thanks.

If it's anything like my '06 Legacy MT it's kind of a "pull it up and off at an angle"

There's literally a female collar at the top of the boot that holds the male insert (at the bottom of the shift knob) in place.

I'll dig up my thread from when I did this (my first, and only mod :) ) and you'll see it takes a decent amount of force to get it off.

My conversation went something like this:

Helpful Poster 1: Just pull it off at an angle

Me: I just went outside and tried that. It didn't work. I feel as if I pull it any harder something is going to break or rip

Helpful Poster 1: Naw, don't worry about it. Give it hell

Helpful Poster 2: Yeah, what he said, just yank the f**** out!

Yes. That looks like the limited shifter knob that I upgraded too. Same exact knob I removed from my non-limited only the OEM one for my car was that cheap plastic-ish substance

Now that I think about it, you might need to unscrew the knob a bit before pulling out and up at an angle. Someone please confirm if this is true

I just dug through my post history looking for my "I need help" thread I created (one of my first here) and it seems to be gone. I did however take a trip down memory lane which enlightened me to just how dumb some of the sh*t I've asked over the years is :D

Hey Madjik_Man,

Now ya see it:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/3a8759e9.jpg

Now ya don't:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/dda5aff7.jpg

Abracadabra Holmes.

(Thanks for the widsom)

I like the sleek, minimalist look. That's the standards the car will be modded to. Debadged of everything, soon to be rid of everything that is not black (chrome trim, wheels, etc)...blacked windows, black wheels, clean grille, smoked tails....you know, the subtle look.I have a bad habit of keeping all of my stock parts. Unless it's worth some unreasonable amount of money to them, I'll probably hang on to it. But thanks for the info. It's good to know I have options.

I like the sleek, minimalist look. That's the standards the car will be modded to. Debadged of everything, soon to be rid of everything that is not black (chrome trim, wheels, etc)...blacked windows, black wheels, clean grille, smoked tails....you know, the subtle look.I have a bad habit of keeping all of my stock parts. Unless it's worth some unreasonable amount of money to them, I'll probably hang on to it. But thanks for the info. It's good to know I have options.

I love the black on black on black on black etc...

I debadged everything but the Subby ovals, have limo tint and now (winter set up) dark gunmetal wheels.

When the time is right I'll probably get smoked tails (contemplating clear tails and clear headlight/corners) and upgrade to a clean, black grille too.

Great minds think alike

Very nice. I'm going to go the extra step and when I get the DIY grille painted OBP, I'm having the rear Subaru oval removed, the indent filled and then painted. No badges what-so-ever. I like that look

Very nice. I'm going to go the extra step and when I get the DIY grille painted OBP, I'm having the rear Subaru oval removed, the indent filled and then painted. No badges what-so-ever. I like that look

Me too... just went the "budget" route. :redface:

Not yet. It's bone stock right now. I've had it less than two months. Externally it looks like any other 05 OBXT with stock wheels/suspension & 20% window tint. Oh, and debadged except for the Subaru Ovals. I need to get stock pictures of it because the mods begin soon.

Oh, I saw that thread the other day. Funny you picked out #436. I saved off that pic into my "Reference" folder with other pictures of the route I'm going to take.That's pretty much exactly what I have started on. I picked up a stock LGT grille on Craigslist for $25 the other day. I've started hacking on it.

Archived