LegacyGT.com

My new Outback XT w 5MT

Well I picked up my base OB XT with 5MT the other night. I am very pleased with this car (truck?). Some general observations:

1) The base interior with the tweed/cloth combo is fabulous. The seats look the same as the 2.5i version but have generous bolstering. These are the same seats that I have seen in the GT’s at my dealer.

2) Overall fit and finish is excellent, a step above my 01 OB wagon.

3) It DOES have the auto/dual zone climate control.

4) It DOES NOT have a passenger side power seat.

5) The hood scoop is super cool. Had to add that :D

6) The car does turn heads. Several pedestrians have just stopped what they are doing and stared.

7) Even with the added ground clearance it actually sits slightly LOWER than my 01 OB. They were parked next to each other to transfer my stuff after I traded the 01.

General driving impressions: I am in no way a racer. I drive about 250 to 300 miles a week to work and meetings. The driving is a combination of stop and go, surface street and steady highway cruising. This is my first MT. However, I drive my wife’s car with MT on a regular basis.

1) The gap or dead spot that I noticed when I drove the 5EAT GT is only evident when I’m in the wrong gear and rpm’s are pretty low. Like making a 90 degree turn in 3rd gear vs. 2nd. I am shifting between 3,500 and 3,750 and the car is spirited to say the least. The power that is available in the next gear is sufficient and very smooth. I AM GLAD I DIDN’T GET THE 5EAT. [interestingly, the 5EAT GT ltd that I drove a month ago is still there. My saleslady has sold 4 XT’s (all autos except for mine) herself in that time period.]

2) This car is very solid on the highway. You barely feel 80 MPH.

3) On fairly steep highway grades that my 01, OB with a 4EAT, would struggle and ultimately kick down a gear the XT pulls strongly in 5th and doesn’t require a downshift. This is a powerful car.

4) You really don’t feel your speed. Several times I find myself running through the gears and looking in the rear view mirror to find all other traffic is 15 to 20 car lengths back. When I check the speedo I’m doing 65 in a 35!

5) The shifter is somewhat notchy and I’ve missed 4th from 5th a couple of times.

6) The projector beam headlights are great!

OB_XT_black_01.jpg.7f2ba2031daffc30051dfaaf11dabf89.jpg

Congratulations. You guys who already have your cars are killing me. Zevil and I are in the same boat, of having ordered at the end of May, and waiting patiently. Another week or two, I figure. Hopefully, the buyer for my WRX wagon is as serious as he seems. I'll find out this weekend. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
OH MAN! I am loving this thread- I have a silver XT Limited 5 speed on the way- should be here by end of July- nice to know I'm not the only one not getting the Legacy :)

Guest *Jedimaster*
A couple of weeks ago. About 2.5 weeks I believe. And while I'm answering in this thread- more pix of the Outback XT, please!

tittywhopper.jpeg.de9fc4f5bf8d001b52f854ec8a682d33.jpeg

OH MAN! I am loving this thread- I have a silver XT Limited 5 speed on the way- should be here by end of July- nice to know I'm not the only one not getting the Legacy :)

Funny, while Subaru goes through the trouble to differientiate the OB and Leggie in marketing (truck vs. car) they share owner's manuals.

I debated long and hard about which way to go, GT wagon vs XT. In the end my decision was influenced by the fact that I was relatively happy with the day to day handling of my 01 OB. I also guess that I got used to extra ground clearance and I just went with it. I had to admit that the GT is probably a better handling car than I am a driver.

OB_XT_black_02.jpg.cfeeeccaf27f8040f1be20f5e4d92076.jpg

[quote]I had to admit that the GT is probably a better handling car than I am a driver.[/quote] :lol: :lol: I totally agree. When I do push this car I scare myself. Hmmm, next mod will be to the driver's skills. How much is a good performance drivers course? :wink: :lol: :lol: -Ian

Don't sell yourself short. For me, much of the satisfaction in driving a car that handles well has little to do with ultimate handling ability since there are few opportunities to safely explore the limits on our roads. A good handling car involves the driver even when just commuting to work. Responsiveness to driver inputs and feedback to the driver on what the tires and suspension are doing are key. You don't need to be a race car driver to feel it. Don't discount ultimate grip though. That being said, the Legacy is short-changed by the stock tires. Be prepared to change 'em out for something better at some point. Tom

Those new pics that you posted are really nice. I absolutely love that car. If I was going to get an Outback it was going to be in black, looks mean. I am looking into getting a set of Pzero Nero M/S for my car right away. They are suppose to rival the Pilot A/S for the best Ultra High Performance all-season tire. I think they will be an excellent choice and they are cheaper than the RE92's that come on the car :O

Ya lucky dawg! None of my local dealers (Marin, CA) have even gotten an OBXT to look at, so I am extremely jealous. I really like the black, and am torn between that and the Gold. I love black, but have become far too expert at detailing black Suby wagons, so a light color is very alluring. How is the body lean and ride? Does anyone know if the OBXT has a stiffer suspension than the base and 3.0R? I'm currently shopping tires to replace the RE92's, and it looks like the Michelin Pilot A/S and Diamaris are the best available tires? I do not need snow capability, mainly on-road with some off-road capability. Enjoy the car and update often. Martin

bgsntth: My dealer has(had) red, gold and black that I have seen. Supposedly they also had a white and silver one that was sold. The gold looks good. I think any OB with the monochromatic paint setup looks good though :D . For every day driving the body lean isn't bad at all. Handling is better than my 01 OB for what that's worth.

[quote name='goneskiian'][quote]I had to admit that the GT is probably a better handling car than I am a driver.[/quote] :lol: :lol: I totally agree. When I do push this car I scare myself. Hmmm, next mod will be to the driver's skills. How much is a good performance drivers course? :wink: :lol: :lol: -Ian[/quote] Skip Barber for about a $1000 I think. My neighbor did that shortly after she got her AMG. She said it was awesome and she's going to go to a second session sometime (the 2nd time is cheaper). They took new Dodge Vipers to practice skid control I think..

Guest *Jedimaster*
I like the monochrome paint myself, but silver wasn't available that way. I might take it to a buddy of mine that owns a body shop- he owes me a favor and I think maybe painting my lower cladding to match the silver should take care of that.

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='goneskiian'][quote]I had to admit that the GT is probably a better handling car than I am a driver.[/quote] :lol: :lol: I totally agree. When I do push this car I scare myself. Hmmm, next mod will be to the driver's skills. How much is a good performance drivers course? :wink: :lol: :lol: -Ian[/quote] Skip Barber for about a $1000 I think. My neighbor did that shortly after she got her AMG. She said it was awesome and she's going to go to a second session sometime (the 2nd time is cheaper). They took new Dodge Vipers to practice skid control I think..[/quote] As a Skippy School vet, for the two-day, $1K school you usually do skidpad work in pickups with locked rear axle to enhance the dervish effect, heel-toe work in Neons, trail braking and other exercises in the Dodge Stratus, then a final day autocross in the Vipers. The three-day Racing School (about $2500 back when) put you in a Viper right away, then a single-seater Formula Dodge racing car. Kevin

[url=http://www.skipbarber.com/drivingschool/default.asp?sel=]Skip Barber Driving School Descriptions & Prices[/url] [url=http://www.skipbarber.com/racingschool/default.asp?sel=]Skip Barber Racing School Descriptions & Prices[/url] I think I'd almost want to shoot for the TWO DAY DRIVING SCHOOL, then the TWO DAY ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE SCHOOL. It's not cheap, but I think it could significantly help my skills, make me a better and more precise driver.

Archived