LegacyGT.com

3rd gear synchro issue

gessvt

Last summer I had my tranny rebuilt by a buddy who used to rebuild trannys for a living. I pulled the tranny, he charged me $200 for his labor and paid about $725 at the dealer for parts, lots of them. I get 25% off at the dealer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

this may be bad juju,

and i may or may not get bashed really really bad

BUT!

i was having some syncro issues and after some research replacing 1 quart of your tranny fluid with syncromesh may help

i was having a serious issue going 5th to 4th (passing on the high way spiritedly) and i can do it all day long now with out a single issue!

i also noticed after my clutch replacement and break in that the fluid was really dirty and was affecting how the synchros meshed into gear etc. just a heads up. check ur fluid after breaking in a new clutch..or seating it

• 4 months later...
i also noticed after my clutch replacement and break in that the fluid was really dirty and was affecting how the synchros meshed into gear etc. just a heads up. check ur fluid after breaking in a new clutch..or seating it

I'm having trouble seeing how a clutch breaking in can make your transmission fluid dirty?

• 5 years later...
I had the synchro replaced last year by Six Star in suburban Chicago. Excellent work, very reasonable rates. Car has shifted perfectly ever since.

I know this is a pretty old thread but just curious how much it cost you to get that tranny work done.

I've had issues with my spec b's tranny since I bought it. Clicks going into 3rd, 4th and 5th. 4th is the worst of them but if you baby it and double clutch it goes in ok.

What fluid is in the tranny ? I have found the Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff out there for these. My Spec B had a grind going into 5th when I bought it used with 22,000 miles in March 2011, it now has 84,000 miles and no grind.

If you have it repaired plan on at least $1200-$2000. Lot's of labor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have no clue what fluid is in the transmission right now. I was planning on trying that transmission fluid and seeing if that helps before taking it in to be rebuilt.

I have a feeling that mine is passed the point of having transmission fluid fix it though...:confused:

Cocktails anyone?

"Uncle Jon's Transmission Cocktail"

Recipe:

• 2 quarts Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil

• 1 quart BG Syncro Shift II Synthetic Gear Oil

• 1 quart Motul 75W-90, or Castrol Hypoy C 80W-90

this from NO SAC or what ever

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674&highlight=uncle+scotty+s+cocktail

andrewtec

3 qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil

1qt Motul 300

these are good if you are trying to save a tranny from a rebuild and just need to get down the road for thousands of extra miles, i've only used the first one with great success gave me like 10 to 15k extra milage on a car that would have been basically undriveable to anyone else

I ran the cocktail for several years on my spec.b. Recently had the syncros replaced and the builder said never do that again. Said it really gums up the trans and pain to clean.

What fluid is in the tranny ? I have found the Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff out there for these. My Spec B had a grind going into 5th when I bought it used with 22,000 miles in March 2011, it now has 84,000 miles and no grind.

If you have it repaired plan on at least $1200-$2000. Lot's of labor.

I also know that if/when i do take in the trans to be rebuilt. I'm going to gut it from the car myself and just take them the trans, save money on the labor of removing it and reinstalling should save maybe a grand?

I also know that if/when i do take in the trans to be rebuilt. I'm going to gut it from the car myself and just take them the trans, save money on the labor of removing it and reinstalling should save maybe a grand?

Do you have a idea what it takes to get the tranny out of these cars ? I've pulled my 5mt a few times. I do have a tranny jack and 24" jack stands.

I’m aware it’s hard as shit but I’ve got a buddy who has a good garage and all that’s needed for it and he’s an mech engineer who’s pulled his own FXT engine before. Gonna be a pain but would save us a good amount of money.

Archived