LegacyGT.com

First dealership experience, WOW

I’m not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it as necessary! I’m a newer owner, and had my first experience with a dealer today. From what I’ve read in various posts on here, I was prepared for the worst. In fact I got quite the opposite. Hodges Subaru in Ferndale, MI was amazing. I was getting a key programmed for my ’07 SE wagon, (for only $30 I might add, including programming the buttons! And a hearty thanks to FredBeansParts for the precut ’09 key!) and they had it done in 15 minutes. While I waited, I had a nice chat with one of the service guys there, as he knew a friend of mine who used to frequent the dealership. It felt like being in an old-timey repair shop in a small town. Nothing like any other dealership I’ve been to for my previous vehicles! If you’re in the area, living or visiting, as Detroit’s only Subaru-only dealer, it’s the best place to go for all things Subaru. I don’t work there, I swear, just a VERY impressed customer!

Hodges Subaru

23100 Woodward Ave.

Ferndale, MI 48220

(248) 547-8800

Props to Van Bortel also. They always put up with my finicky demands. "Try to get those front caliper bracket bolts off and, while you're at it, please replace the rotors and pads with the rotors and pads I have in my trunk. But don't bed in the pads, I'll do that myself."

"Yes Mr. Crossing"

...Support your LGT community...

I've been to van bortel twice, and they seem like the best western NY dealer IMO. They programmed my 09 key from FBP for $20 (waited over 2 hours though). I got home and realized my other key fob didn't work anymore so I went back. They couldn't fix it so they gave me a brand new one. Very nice and professional both times. Will be going back there next time I need something done.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

It's really hit or miss, as is with most car dealerships. Glad you had a good experience. I've learned that it's always the car salesman you are buying when buying a car. Trusting them that they are selling you what they are advertising.

I also had a fantastic experience at my Subaru dealership and ended up buying 2 Legacies from them!

In the Vancouver BC area...go to Specialty Motors in North Vancouver. I bought a 2002 Impreza at a different dealer but got it serviced at Specialty....great treatment and very "Mod" friendly.......soooo in 2006 I went to Specialty for a new '06 LGT and an '06 Impreza for my wife.....good service pays for the dealership ;)

The licence plate frame says it all :):):)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/AVO.jpg

@ Yamarocket630, UAWville, MI? Isn't that pretty much the whole Metro Detroit area, if not the whole state? LOL! It kills me when they advertise these GREAT deals on cars. But only for A-Z plan customers. Rude. I don't have a connection to the auto industry. Maybe that's why I drive two Japanese vehicles now...

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents. Dealership oil changes may seem like a bargain at least untill you need work done. I have seen dealerships in my state with buy 2 oil changes get the 3rd one free and the first two are at like 40% of market price. But.. when you need $800 worth of work done we're going to charge you $1200 instead and smile all the way to the bank.

I have done plenty of service work, some myself, and I avoid the dealership on very expensive, relatively easy but time consuming things.

Just to give you an example, my local shop rate is around $135/hr. Joe, the US Army Mechanic, or Mike the 25 year shop veteran who works in his spare time charge $40. On a 10 or more hour repair it really adds up.

Archived