LegacyGT.com

headlights not working...

Here's a good one...

I drove my LGT off the lot on Saturday, and found out Saturday night that I can't turn on my headlights. High beams and fog lights are fine, but low beams on both lights are out. I've checked the manual (and feel completely retarded). I've already left a message for my dealer, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any experience with it. Possibly a DRL issue?

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I take it that you picked up a brand new car? I would place a call to Subaru directly as well as the dealer. The dealer is supposed to PDI the car to make sure issues like that are resolved before you take delivery. Not to mention, that's a HUGE liability on the dealer's part if lack of headlights were the cause of an accident.

OK so here's the deal (probably been done to death already, but why not)...

It turns out the bulbs were blown, and I just got them replaced by my dealer. They said this is a common problem with 05' legacys, something to do with the factory install. It took about 30 mins, and of course it was free of charge.

Did you ask them why this wasn't checked prior to delivery? If the factory install was the issue, the dealer is supposed to catch it in PDI/prep. The dealer charges you for the service......if it were me, I would be asking them to go through the PDI a second time to make sure they didn't miss anything. The car has to have working headlights prior to getting a safety inspection approved.

yeah I did, Pat. They said that these were inspected along with everything else. One thing I didn't ask however, is when this inspection was performed. It seems like they were just trying to cover their asses but I was pretty irate when I walked in, so I don't think that they would try to bullshit me.

I'd call SOA with a copy of the work ticket. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't let my local dealer off that easy. That's utter incompetence - you paid them to make sure your car was safe to drive off the lot. I am sure SOA would want to know as well since they require the dealer to do that check prior to delivery.

No I agree with Pat, I'm calling SoA once I get back from work. I am young and just out of college, so I am a bit hesitant in taking action in circumstances such as these, mostly because of ignorance of my rights as a consumer. This is my first big purchase, and I guess I was blinded by how great a deal I got, and the fun that I'm having it.

In any case, I appreciate the guidance that you more experienced guys are giving.

Guys - I used to work for a small lobbyist on Capitol Hill that represents the import car industry and met many executives back then, including many from SOA. Believe me, they want to know about this kind of thing.

What if one light was out and you took delivery at night? While driving, the second one goes out and you kill someone crossing the street? All that is traced back to the dealer's attempt to make an extra buck by not doing the PDI mandated to them by their dealer agreement with SOA. Besides being a PR nightmare, Subaru would have to cut their cut their ties with the dealer.

PGT

yeah I did, Pat. They said that these were inspected along with everything else. One thing I didn't ask however, is when this inspection was performed. It seems like they were just trying to cover their asses but I was pretty irate when I walked in, so I don't think that they would try to bullshit me.

There should be a checklist along with your car's manual and stuff that lists the parts of the car that were checked and a date.

I will dig it up from my car and post a pic.

Edit: Pics attached and here is the full text of the quote in the last picure:

This list does not include any cosmetic or appearance iterm preparation. These services are required by Subaru but their performance are solely the responsibility of the dealer.

also my car's build date is June 04, and I got in September 04, and my dealer did the checklist in July, so your stealership should have caught the lights when they did the checklist.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Archived