LegacyGT.com

Let you tell me about audio install in '08 Spec. B

murdoc158

Just picked up a 2008 Spec. B. I'd like to add an amp, front speakers, and subwoofer. My requirements are to retain the factory head unit (has XM activated by previous owner), retain factory steering wheel controls, and retain factory navigation. Is the best way to do this with a line-out converter or is there a better way to do this? What's the best enclosure to add my sub in the trunk without doing a custom build? Feel free to share any links or pics. TIA.

I had exactly the same requirements. Added a sub in the trunk (just picture reversed angle box lining up with back of seat), component speakers, and amplifier. Doesn't sound nearly as good as if you switched out the head unit since you're limited there, but much better than stock.

I had exactly the same requirements. Added a sub in the trunk (just picture reversed angle box lining up with back of seat), component speakers, and amplifier. Doesn't sound nearly as good as if you switched out the head unit since you're limited there, but much better than stock.

Guessing you did this with the line-out converter?

I like the audiocontrol units for this. They allow line-out in addition to subwoofer volume control and specific crossover for the component speakers...

What do you recommend from this line? I'll be running mids and tweeters in the front with an included crossover. No rears but I do have a sub. These all work without an additional "volume" knob like the JL Cleansweep?

I haven't looked at their offerings in a while but they are cheaper than the JL Cleansweep, thus my interest in their gear, not to mention that I have had good luck in the past with Audiocontrol!

I'm pretty sure that the only volume knob with the AC units is for sub volume....?

Perhaps the LC6 or LC7...just so you can upgrade further in the future if you choose to...

GL with your install!

Sa12 then? I really think Sundown's SA series is the best value right now for a good compromise of output and sound quality. You could get an Sa12 for 200 bucks and it competes with a lot of stuff twice the price.

As far as an enclosure, the most cost effective would be to build your own, that is if you already have the tools. The least you need is a circular saw, a drill and a jig saw, but a table saw, air/power nailer, some good clamps and a router make the job easier.

Whoops! Just checked my sub and it's a JL Audio 10W1V2 4ohm. Guess I only need a 10" then. I wouldn't mind fiberglassing my own box, but this would be a first build, and I don't know if I have the patience, talent, or cleanliness to do it.

Archived