LegacyGT.com

Starting/radio issue in cold weather

I have a 2007 legacy 2.5i and this is the first winter I have owned the car. I have noticed the car starts slower in the cold, but its cold so nothing abnormal I thought. Now sometimes it starts harder when it is especially cold out, like 4-5 cranks instead of 2-3 like normal, and the radio comes on like its supposed to but the presets are all erased and it spits the cd out like I have disconnected the battery or reset the radio. The time and trip meter never get erased. I had corrosion on the terminals so I cleaned that off and some off the battery wires. I still have the same issue. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That's part of the love/hate relationship we have these cars.

Try cleaning the batery terminals again and coat them with grease. I did that to mine when I put the new battery in a few years back.

Today was -9F and it took a few more cranks to start. I do turn the key to on for a couple of seconds to let the fuel pump prime, but it still took 3 trys to start. It's not a big thing as long as the starter spins at close to normal speed. Remember it's cold outside.

My radio hasn't done anything odd in a long time. But it has in the past.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max Capacity. Yeah I'm stumped on this radio thing. The best I can figure is that when the battery cools way down the posts lose connection with the wires just enough to tell the radio it has been reset? I mean that sounds really dumb but I just dont know what else to think. I am going to go get some of that red grease and put it on my battery terminals though. I tried to get away with just vaseline, and that didnt do the job.

whew... this happened to me too this morning. However, I got worried cause I thought my clutch was going and/or had engine issues so I didn't turn the radio on and just listened to the engine. Thanks Max Capacity!

Yea, I find I don't listen to the radio much until all the noises are gone. Most are cause it's so cold.

I hope....:)

I did pick up a rubbing noise went I make a right turn... (?) I drove to VT Friday in the snow storm, (couldn't see driving to work in the snow) so I went skiing instead, may be snow is still frozen in the wheel well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea, I find I don't listen to the radio much until all the noises are gone. Most are cause it's so cold.

I hope....:)

I did pick up a rubbing noise went I make a right turn... (?) I drove to VT Friday in the snow storm, (couldn't see driving to work in the snow) so I went skiing instead, may be snow is still frozen in the wheel well.

It's been in the negatives up here, and it snowed as well. I also have the same rubbing noise of frozen ice/snow/dirt/grim. Oh, and plenty of ice/snow frozen to the inside of my wheels. I need to try and get it all off so my car is balanced!

Well last night after touching the brake pedal and feel the car pull right, checking for losse lug nuts, I drove it carefully on the way home. About a mile from the exit, the ABS light, CEL, cruise, came on. It's at a garage on the way home. I'm thinking left front wheel bearing, I'll know when they look at it.

I have been hearing a noise for about the last 60 miles for the left side.

It's too cold to fix it myself. So I got the old 86 F150 today.

EDIT: Heard from the garage at 9:40AM, left front wheel bearing.

• 4 months later...

Archived