LegacyGT.com

New to this forum and to the Subaru world

Just ordered a 2011 Legacy Limited, unfortunately it's a 2.5i 4 cylinder. It's my company car and they wouldn't let me upgrade to a different engine. Should have it in 6 weeks or so.

What is available to hop up this engine?

This will be the first Subie I've ever owned.

Thanks in advance.

Consider a lightweight crank pulley. It will reduce rotational mass, making a bit more power available to the wheels and improving fuel efficiency. Other than purchase price (~$100) and install, there is no downside to this mod, and in fact it probably increases engine longevity. (Don't install in combination with a lightweight flywheel, though, as that can lead to stalling problems at idle.) Available from several suppliers, including Perrin, Cobb, and Agency Power.

PS: Welcome, BTW!

That's awesome that you were able to get a Limited. If you got a car, I'm assuming you'll be driving a lot. So enjoy the PZEV and the MPG's that go with it. As it's just a company car, why are you considering dumping money into it? At any rate, there isn't really anything worth while to make a 2.5i faster. You can install a thicker rear sway bar and follow it up with springs to make it more fun in the corners.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Welcome!

No there isn't much of anything you can do to make it faster. It is huge compared to 4th generation 2.5i and it has the same engine. Do not get a light weight pulley actually you should just accept the fact you got a slow car, but you can make it handle like a fast car. I would also suggest the creature comforts inside.

Thanks to all for the replys. The crank pulley really won't give me much so I'll have to pass on that, but thanks for the idea.

Sway bars would be helpful, seeing I'm new to Subie's where do you guys buy parts from? Hawkwagon mentioned Perrin, Cobb, and Agency Power. Never heard of them before, got any links?

Why do I want to modify a company car? It's in my blood, I take everything apart. Gotta find out what makes it tick and then make it tick quicker. I tried to get my company to let me get a different engine and the manual tranny that I would pay the difference for, but they refused.

Anyone ever put nitrous on one of these engines? If so, how much will it take? Is the lower end and the CVT tranny beefy enough to take an additional 50HP?

I've been using nitrous for many years. Got a 175HP 2-stage kit with water/methanol injection on my other car.

The one thing you will learn quickly is not to use that on this engine. Trust us there really isn't much you can do except add a turbo kit and that will have to be adapted slightly to your car but the definitions exist to tune it :

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/25i-turbokit-p-123.html

Now if you had a 3rd gen legacy oh boy you have many options but you have a 5th gen BM legacy that isn't turbo so that list got chopped down to:

Tint

Wheels

Axleback Mufflers made for the LGT

AVO Panel Filter

:(

So why wouldn't nitrous be good on this engine? Are the pistons/rods on a turbo engine able to withstand more abuse and a NA engine?

OK, so maybe 50 was optimistic, it should be able to take a 30HP shot.

What is an AVO panel filter?

Thanks for the link.

E85 link was interesting to read, seems like a lot of work for 20-30 more HP. Anyways, no E85 around these parts that I've ever seen.

I have a ton of spare nitrous parts so I'll probably go that route after I put a few thousand miles on the engine.

Your the second person to mention "panel filter". What is it and where does it go? Is that the engine air filter? K&N??

HID's sound like they are worth doing, I have them in the bimmer and really like them.

Your the second person to mention "panel filter". What is it and where does it go? Is that the engine air filter? K&N??

HID's sound like they are worth doing, I have them in the bimmer and really like them.

HID's in a BMW and HID's in a halogen projector environment are two completely different things.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

HID's in a BMW and HID's in a halogen projector environment are two completely different things.

Still, HIDs with the halogen lenses are still a better improvement over stock. I've heard good things about HIR bulbs, but haven't actually looked into them after I got hids. I've had mine in for over a year now on my leggy and never once got highbeamed because of their aim.

"panel filer" is just a replacement high flow air filter that replaces the stock air filter. Popular options are AVO and K&N. Both are cleanable, and will last a while, though some people say the K&N one causes issues with the MAF sensors on our cars due to its oil based filter.

Either choice will add a little bit more pep to the car.

Archived