LegacyGT.com

outback wheels for snow tires

I would like to extra wheels for snow tires. A set of steel rims that would fit abit narrower than the 205/70 that's on it now. Are there wheels from other auto brands that will fit. The 205 doesn't dig down in and seems to float on the snow. The dealer is clueless as are most salvage yards. Steel or alloy will be ok. I need to stay 15" to satisfy the ecu I suppose. Just looking for hints or suggestions. Thanks alot

No problems at all running 205/70 15 on my outback. It's heavy enough that it doesn't float on anything. I'm running Cooper WeatherMaster S/T2 snows.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Personally, I wouldn't bother with different sized tires other than stock UNLESS I lived in an area that got heavy snowfall. I live in SW Ohio and we get very moderate snowfall so I just use the correct tire size for my car. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Alpin's and they're the bee's knee's. Nothing like an AWD car with snow tires.

Just to add, I live in lake effect snow country. I've had my outback through unplowed roads and service roads without a problem so far this year. This morning my wife got in the outback to drive to work in 6" of fresh snow overnight. No problems running stock tire size.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Personally, I wouldn't bother with different sized tires other than stock UNLESS I lived in an area that got heavy snowfall. I live in SW Ohio and we get very moderate snowfall so I just use the correct tire size for my car. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Alpin's and they're the bee's knee's. Nothing like an AWD car with snow tires.

I am running the pilot alpines also, best snow tire I have ever used. I am running 215 45 17's on my leggy and it plows through anything.

I have a set of 195/ 65/ r15 on black steelies with dunlop wintersport 3ds on them on my 98 lgt, they have the same approximate outer diameter but are much thinner and have better tread pattern then my summer tires on my 16in snowflakes. Id recommend looking into something like this. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html <- that website has a helpful calculator to figure out tire diameters

Archived