LegacyGT.com

Exhaust smell when the heat is on in my 93 Legacy

I recently bought a 93 Sport Sedan Turbo. Whenever the heat is on the car smells like exhause. There IS a small leak at the valve cover so maybe the oil is dripping on the manifold and that's the smell. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any idea what else could cause the issue?

These cars don't have an air circulation button, its all automatic and tied in with the heater controls.

Its got to be an exhaust leak somewhere. With the engine running have a friend hold a rag over the tailpipe while you get under the car and search for leaks. Be careful not to burn yourself on the hot exhaust or inhale too much exhaust gas.

If the valve cover was leaking oil onto the manifold it would smell more like you left the plastic wrapper on a wax candle and lit it anyway.

• 1 month later...

That's what we have happening, smells like candle wax when first starting with heat on, recirc air stops the smell. Dealer checked today with ASE trained folks and saw no leaks. I know they would sell us a gasket if they could find a leak? Still puzzled.

Thx for the forum

Archived