LegacyGT.com

Help with tuning stage.

subieleg

I know there are a lot of posts out there but I need clarification. I've done some research even on cobbs web site. I recently replaced my stock blown turbo with a VF52. I have a stock intake with panel filter. Soon to upgrade with after market intake. I have SPT CBE and gutted stock DP. I have a AP and am running stage 2. Is this correct? Or should I be doing a custom tune? I know that the VF52 is basic the same turbo just a little more power. But I don't know what is necessary for my upgrades. This is on a 05 5EAT. Information is appreciated.and sorry if there are

already posts but with what I have found I'm a little confused.

Oh and I am aware that I am reaching 19+ pounds of boost and the tmic will not hold for very long I was on a limited budget so didn't get an after market but I have stock backup for now. I'm trying to take this one step out of time and not get off track but are there some logs out there to know if I'm accurate on "logged Data" ?

If you replaced your turbo with a vf52 you need a tune.

If you have a panel filter in your oem intake it is going to do as well as an aftermarket intake or BETTER for your application. SELL THAT INTAKE.

CBE doesnt buy you anything with an OEM DP. Gutting it doesnt take care of the biggest problem - not the cat - the FLAT FACE WALL. Open bellmouth is a must have with a turbo upgrade which a 52 is.

You did replace the up with a catless up right???

Get a tune. Contact Infamous1.

(and an up for 05-06)

Stage 1 = oem + tune

Stage 2 = oem + dp + tune

stage 3 = oem + dp + turbo + tune

stage 4 = stage 3 plus fueling and then some

Ok boom isn't good haha. Ok I don't have the after market intake yet so I saved a little there. As far as the UP I can do some research on what to ger unless you have a recommendation? A custom tune will be 150 or so right? As far as installing the UP. Is that pretty easy to do? I did the turbo set up myself so I can handle SOME mechanical work. Thanks for the heads up ! I was thinking it was a little too easy to upgrade...

And as far as the open Bellmouth you're referring to the DP? So I need a different DP too?

It's just crazy because I got the turbo and AP from a well known vendor on this forum and he said I would be fine with what I have.. maybe just makin sells was his job that day. I live far away from places to get tuned and accurate info or this would be easier.

The vendor maybe was assuming you were going to have it tuned since he sold you an AP with the vf52. I would contact an e-tuner right away (Infamous). In your case - the cost of a few items, done the right way, could save you thousands in engine repairs. I would replace the up and down pipe at the same time since the down-pipe needs to be removed to get to the up-pipe. Our up-pipe (06) has a cat in it. The up-pipe, in my opinion is more important to replace than the down pipe if I had to prioritize. In your case, with the upgraded turbo, you should replace both. It is fairly easy, just take your time and use new gaskets. The factory up-pipe is difficult to remove because of the heat shield materials (bulky). There is a walk through on this web-site if you want to do a search.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1) contact a tuner - get a plan

2) replace the up-pipe

3) replace the down-pipe

4) keep your factory air intake system

5) e-tune the car

6) be happy

Ok boom isn't good haha. Ok I don't have the after market intake yet so I saved a little there. As far as the UP I can do some research on what to ger unless you have a recommendation? A custom tune will be 150 or so right? As far as installing the UP. Is that pretty easy to do? I did the turbo set up myself so I can handle SOME mechanical work. Thanks for the heads up ! I was thinking it was a little too easy to upgrade...

And as far as the open Bellmouth you're referring to the DP? So I need a different DP too?

It's just crazy because I got the turbo and AP from a well known vendor on this forum and he said I would be fine with what I have.. maybe just makin sells was his job that day. I live far away from places to get tuned and accurate info or this would be easier.

Listen bro, KCWagon's advice is right on and FWIW CONTACT MSPRANK.

Your vf52 is able to supply way too much air to your motor. Your fueling has not been reprogrammed to match. Leaning out = BOOM as I said. Your UP is pre-turbo and is catted. It must be replaced with a catless UP. This is not only a mod for power but more importantly LONGEVITY. Cat's disintegrate as they venerate and the pieces of cat can destroy your turbo and go into your motor CATASTROPHICALLY. Open bellmouth yes. When you look at your gutted DP you see a big plate that meets the turbo with a little pipe coming off it. That needs to be a wide open mouth that TAPERS to a (bigger) pipe. The boost is SLAMMING into that wall basically.

As far as buying an AP and turbo, no all vendors know everything and they talk to a LOT of people. The vendor probably assumed you had more knowledge that you do because you probably sounded like you know what you wanted.

YOU WILL NOT HAVE THAT ISSUE WITH M SPRANK.

A good intake on a vf52 sized turbo will help in areas under the curve. It will improve spool slightly but mainly help with response. On some applications it can induce boost creep as well, with the gutted stocker (dp) this could possibly be an issue.

Archived