LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy Gt Limited Rough Running Problems Help Needed

I have a 1998 Legacy Gt Limited and I recently had the engine rebuilt, after I picked it up from the shop I put a new battery in it but made a really stupid mistake and put the battery in backwards, after which the car locked up it turned out to be a relay, after replacing that the car would start again but since has run very rough. When going up a hill the car seems to stutter and sometimes the engine will accelerate but will not put power to the wheels, also if you hold the brakes and press the gas at the same time the car will also stutter as if it is missing and will not try to push forward as a car should in this situation, the car doesn't like to accelerate at all and the check engine light flashes constantly, I tried replacing the computer but this had no effect, does any one have any ideas, I love this car, but I am a broke college student and don't really have the money to take it to a shop.

Thanks,

Cassidy

Have you had the codes pulled? It sounds like you may have fried a sensor which is causing a misfire. If you have an autozone around you go there and ask them to pull the codes, they will do it for free, then post the code they give you here and we can help you out more.

I pulled the codes today here is what I got

P0500 VSS or circuit malfunction

P1540 VSS or circuit malfunction

P1101 Neutral Position Switch Circuit High Input

P1121 Neutral Position Switch Circuit Low Input

The car has started idling very low in park and a little rough the passenger side seems to hiccup fairly frequently and when you press the accelerator it doesnt respond at first and the rpms drop then it accelerates but makes a loud knocking/scratching sound which scares me

can anyone help me? thanks

also it says MIL off is that a concern?
this just means that the check engine light is off.

is it?

P0500 VSS or circuit malfunction

P1540 VSS or circuit malfunction

P1101 Neutral Position Switch Circuit High Input

P1121 Neutral Position Switch Circuit Low Input

if the CEL is off then these would be pending or maybe old codes ? any idea?

did you drive the car before you replaced the battery? how did it drive.?

did you do the install?

did the shop see you put the battery in backwards?

i would put it on them if you can, they did the work. unless they know for sure it was running great when you picked it up. and even then it could be, most likely is, something related to the rebuild.

but it could be a bad wire connector on the rear of the engine. there are 3 connectors undo them each and reconnect them. look for bent pins inside each one. make sure they click when you put them back together.

i can't remember if the speed sensor goes through those connectors or not but the front one, if it is an auto trans, is just below those connectors. look for it and the wires / connectors going to it.

usually ''circuit malfunction'' means it is a wiring problem, but speed sensors are pretty simple so if it isn't working then it could be reported as a circuit problem. (example, o2 sensors can give you an o2 code or an o2 circuit malfunction code. the latter is usually a wire problem.)

the neutral position could also be a connector problem but may be related to the Throttle Position Sensor.

by the way, some of this info may be auto trans specific. is your a manual trans?

here's a link to a FSM download site. 97 is easier to read then 99 but it is manual trans only. but they both will have a good section on diagnostic codes, look for diagnostic ...LHD ... list ,i think.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

• I Donated
Having trouble picking up on if it runs rough just when moving or idling too. The reason I ask is because that sounds like a transmission thing, if the idle is OK.....

This may and may not be the case. While you're in gear moving, there is much more of a load on the engine then when you're idling or reving it while its in park.

if the CEL is off then these would be pending or maybe old codes ? any idea?

They would be pending codes. I don't think our ECUs support storing old codes. I know my 97 doesn't. I've thrown tons of codes in the past (mostly from pressure washing the engine lol)....all of them are gone and I don't have the MIL on, but none of the prior codes show up in cheap scanners, or even a Genesys scanner

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Mine is a manual, and alright I will look at that too it also says my upsteam o2 sensor has 0v going to it so i know that can screw with alot of things, I put the battery in myself and just wasnt thinking, the car was running fine before it happened. The check engine light is on so i have no idea why it said it was off, I used an auto xray scanner.

Do you by anychance know where the three wire connectors on the back of the engine are located more specifically? are they just called wire connectors or something more specific?

passenger side near the fire wall where the engine and trans meet. there is a lifting hook / eyelet. just below there.

on auto trans cars there are 3 connectors, one is a 16 pin, one is a 12 pin and then a smaller 3rd one.

Archived