LegacyGT.com

PVC valve replacement / oil consumption

Hey all

Im noticing that if i'm in boost a fair amount during the week, that when i check my oil on Monday morning its a fair bit low (1/2 qt or so) when im Not on boost for most of the week, its usually not low, or down only slightly.

A fellow Subaru guy, who's a tech at a dealer, said its probably my PVC valve if i haven't replaced it (05, 108K) because it wont separate the oil from the air and throws it into the intake instead of back into the block.

a: is this true and B: if so, what is the PN?

its not a PVC, is a PCV. Positive crankcase ventilation. its like $5 at the dealer, and they always have them in stock. just swing by and pick one up.

so let me get this straight. if you drive hard and check the oil, its looks 1/2 qt down, but if you then drive it easy, the oil looks normal again?

so let me get this straight. if you drive hard and check the oil, its looks 1/2 qt down, but if you then drive it easy, the oil looks normal again?

I asked about it at my local dealership, a very good place, ive dealt with others not so good, and they said it was a non-serviceable part, and no replacement existed.

I called Subaru parts in MD, for a quote on PN 11815AB790 (which what my subaru tech friends said the PCV assembly is) they said it was 52.94.

Let me clarify my statement, lets say that I change the oil, and fill it. at the end of the first week, if i drive it hard, its at 75% full. (maybe 1/2-2/3 quart low)

If I refill it, and drive it easy, its at 95% after another week...

PCV on our car takes some doing to replace compared to other cars.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pcv-valve-replacement-95003.html?t=95003&highlight=pcv

I bet your TMIC is oily too. I definately needed to change out my PCV: My engine was not eating oil, my FMIC contained my missing oil!

I asked about it at my local dealership, a very good place, ive dealt with others not so good, and they said it was a non-serviceable part, and no replacement existed.

I called Subaru parts in MD, for a quote on PN 11815AB790 (which what my subaru tech friends said the PCV assembly is) they said it was 52.94.

Let me clarify my statement, lets say that I change the oil, and fill it. at the end of the first week, if i drive it hard, its at 75% full. (maybe 1/2-2/3 quart low)

If I refill it, and drive it easy, its at 95% after another week...

if you continue to drive hard, does the oil level drop more?

the marks on the dip stick dont signify a unit of measure. when you say 1/2 qt low, where on the dip stick is the oil at.

if you continue to drive hard, does the oil level drop more?

the marks on the dip stick dont signify a unit of measure. when you say 1/2 qt low, where on the dip stick is the oil at.

I dont know, If i check it and its low, i refill :cool:

There have been a few times ive noticed it low. week to week the lowest ive seen it is barely above the L line. This was after not checking it for a few weeks and when i did get around to it, there was nothing on the stick :icon_cry:

Wow lots cheaper, are those clamps the one that are hard to replace? They look like the squeeze open types, why are they so hard to do?

(deciding on if i want to tackle this or let me stealership do it lol)

if you feel comfortable taking the TMIC off, then you can do it yourself.

Hahaha - Nope, i had a hard enough time swapping injectors, dont wanna mess around with the TMIC.

of course, that Does mean its gonna cost an arm and leg doesnt it :/

Archived