LegacyGT.com

phase1&2 ej22 mixin and mingling

Soooo I have in my car a phase 2 sohc, I also have a phase 1 ej22 ....

1.Would I benefit from the dohc's from the phase 1's? (vs. ej25 heads(that I dont have))

2. Are the short blocks the same size?

I want to start building the phase1 short block, I know that the intake mani isn't as wide so im wondering why that is. Smaller heads?..

Thanks!

Hmm ok, are the bolt patterns for the tranny the exact same?.. The only thing thats differnt is the heads?

So I could use the obd1 ej22e shortblock and put obd2 ej25 dohc's on it and use my obd2 ej22e intake manifold and have the same sensor set up and everything, flawlessly?

they did go to a 6, or maybe 8 bolt, bell housing but the 4 bolt blocks will still bolt up you will just have a few empty bolt holes.

i can't imagine why you would want to use ej25 heads on a ej22 block. some have done it the other way around simply because they had the 25 block and 22 heads. that at least has an advantage over an straight ej22, higher compression.

but in reverse ... WHY?

where are you going with this?

there are lots of things you can do with nuts and bolts. but lets be practical, most have no advantage.

So I could use the obd1 ej22e shortblock and put obd2 ej25 dohc's on it and use my obd2 ej22e intake manifold and have the same sensor set up and everything, flawlessly?

You will run into a problem if you plan to run DOHC 25D heads on a 22E block. The compression ratio will drop into the mid to low 8s & this will result in a loss of power.

To compensate, 22E Phase 2 pistons should be used...

I will be using ej22t pistons and boosting 15ish psi.. Does the option of ej25d heads still suck?

Hmmm, those piston crowns are different than the N/A ones. They might drop your compression below the 8s (possibly into the 7s), which would make off-boost uncomfortable, I would think. Left 25D head needs to be modified for the turbo but you probably already know that. If you're gonna' boost the 22E block, use the 22T oil & water pumps. They'll take to the extra added power/stress much better.

Archived