LegacyGT.com

Lowbeam question.

Zac88

Looking for some input on which lowbeam bulbs I should run? From the research ive found that most people run the Osram Rallye 65W.

Now I know that those might be the best but I was wondering if there is another alternative to those bulbs with a bit more white light? Local laws dont allow us to run even the slightest blue coating to make the light a bit whiter then OEM.

So what i'm asking is if I have any options for whiter brighter light or should I just bite the bullet and see if I can find any rallyes sold in Canada?

Thanks!

You're not going to find any H7 bulbs brighter than the Osram Rallye that is close to stock voltage. The Rallye's are 65W already, and really, really bright at 2100 lumens vs 1400 stock. That's a 50% increase by only overwattng 10W and the expected lifespan is the same as stock.

The only way to get whiter is to 1) go brighter (which is what you'd be doing) 2) get a bulb with coating on it (which isn't brighter, just whiter, and also not what you want) or 3) get HIDs (this is opening up a whole new can of worms)

They're very slightly whiter by virtue of the fact that they burn hotter and brighter, but not whiter by a huge amount. As far as overpowering, yes, they're brighter than your high beams. Your high beams are 9005 which is only rated at 1700 lumens. But it's not like you drive around with your high beams on the whole time... plus your high beams are aimed up significantly higher, so the throw is different.

I upgraded my high beams to HIR1 which is 2530 lumens.

ok I was just worried if the Rallyes will cause a flood of light infront of the car and will attract my eyes there instead of the distance!

Is there an alternative to the H1R1's? I cannot seem to find them in Canada nor the Rallyes for that matter :(

LOL.

1. Dollar for dollar, best lowbeam to run is a DDM 55W kit. Best halogen is the Osram Rallye, which I ran before the DDM kit.

2. What local laws? I've lived in Alberta all my life and there are tons of people running around with all sorts of lights. Alberta is as lax as it gets for different car mods, legal or not.

3. You cannot find Osram Rallye/Hypers at any store front retailer. You can buy them from Candlepower and Rallylights. I bought mine from rallylights at the time, though I think Candlepower has great customer service

4. The significant difference between low and high beams aren't really the lumens, it's where the light goes. Lows are cutoff, highs aren't.

5. It's not H1R1, it's HIR. The size you need is 9011. They are absolutely a great upgrade.

6. HID kit in lows > Osram Rallye.

7. Whether you get HID or Osram Rallye, you will NEED to fill the squirrel finders to not get flashed constantly.

..........Also what are squirrel finders?

If you go with the Osram halogen 65W bulbs, you will not have to do any mods to your lamps. The halogen filament will be in the optimum orientation with the optics of the lamp, unlike a drop in HID, and there will be no excessive glare. If you get flashed after installing the Osrams, it is because your headlights are aimed too high.

If you go with the Osram halogen 65W bulbs, you will not have to do any mods to your lamps. The halogen filament will be in the optimum orientation with the optics of the lamp, unlike a drop in HID, and there will be no excessive glare. If you get flashed after installing the Osrams, it is because your headlights are aimed too high.

Ok thank you that will save me alot of trouble :)

Wrong. Glare in our Subaru projectors is caused by the squirrel finders, not by orientation of the lamp optics. That line of thinking applies more to reflectors than projectors. The squirrel finders are by definition, glare inducing. They are holes that let some light through ABOVE the cutoff, and the idea is that a bit of light will help signage, but the problem is that this makes for glare, especially when you up the light output, even the 2100 lumens of Osram Rallyes is enough to do it.

I had the Osram Rallyes for years, right from when they first came out. I can you this:

When I had the Osram Rallyes with unfilled squirrel finders and the lights aimed wayyy down below spec, I was flashed ALL THE TIME. Actually, I was in denial for awhile too, and just ignored the flashes, thinking to myself, "well, I'm still running halogen bulbs, I can't possibly create glare! It must be my aim, and I better aim the lamps even lower!!"

With my HID kit and filled squirrel finders now, and proper aim, I am flashed NEVER. I can aim the lights higher than before, improving the throw of light down the road, and I don't aggrevate oncoming traffic anymore. Win win.

1. Dollar for dollar, best lowbeam to run is a DDM 55W kit. Best halogen is the Osram Rallye, which I ran before the DDM kit.

I couldn't find either of these searching on the Candlepower or Rally lights sites. I bought Sylvania Silverstar HD low beam bulbs in mid October and within a couple weeks of each other both have now blown. Before the second one went I purchased another double pack but I have yet to open it. If I can find a comparable bulb that will last more than a 2 1/2 months I'll take back the Sylvania's and get that instead. I like what I've read so far in this thread on the Osram Rallyes but the DDMs look interesting as well. I just need a little help in finding more specific information on each.

Just used dogpile.com search and found both bulbs. The Osram at Candlepower and the DDM on the DDM site. They're less expensive than the Sylvanias and the DDM is warrantied for a year for the pair. Sounds like a win to me.

So let me get this straight: fill the squirrel finder reduces glare but makes the low beam cutoff sharper, don't fill the squirrel finder makes the cutoff less dramatic but it creates more glare. right?

1. Squirrel finder - fills the glare bubble above the cutoff only

2. The cutoff is unaffected by the squirrel finders.

3. Cutoff sharpness can be manipulated by repositioning either the lens or bulb, or by swapping from the OEM fresnel lens to clear ones.

I couldn't find either of these searching on the Candlepower or Rally lights sites. I bought Sylvania Silverstar HD low beam bulbs in mid October and within a couple weeks of each other both have now blown. Before the second one went I purchased another double pack but I have yet to open it. If I can find a comparable bulb that will last more than a 2 1/2 months I'll take back the Sylvania's and get that instead. I like what I've read so far in this thread on the Osram Rallyes but the DDMs look interesting as well. I just need a little help in finding more specific information on each.

Just used dogpile.com search and found both bulbs. The Osram at Candlepower and the DDM on the DDM site. They're less expensive than the Sylvanias and the DDM is warrantied for a year for the pair. Sounds like a win to me.

The HID kit is a bit more work to install, but well worth it, considering how cheap it is. But DO NOT GET IT UNLESS YOU FILL THE SQUIRREL FINDERS. Otherwise people will flash you constantly and you'll get so angry about it you'll change your username to fishbone and come rant about how HID kits suck on the internet. I also rotated the return wire, disabled DRL, and installed the relay harness.

Archived