LegacyGT.com

Rough/Rich Cold Starts

95 Legacy Outback 2.2 5MT, when the car is cold it starts right up but runs like it is too rich. It clears up with in about 10-15 seconds. Any ideas? I just replaced the front 02 sensor because I was getting a P0420 code and that is cleared up now and the problems that came with that. But this cold start problem is a little annoying and may be the cause of my 20mpg average. I would think that this car would get better mileage.

I'm having the same problem with my 98 gt, when I start it after a night of sitting, it starts really rough and idles at about 800, which is odd for the first start up of the day, usually sits at about 1500 when I first turn it on. The car shakes and sounds terrible when it is in this idle, but like you said, it only lasts for a little bit then it clears up and is fine.

I'm having the same problem with my 98 gt, when I start it after a night of sitting, it starts really rough and idles at about 800, which is odd for the first start up of the day, usually sits at about 1500 when I first turn it on. The car shakes and sounds terrible when it is in this idle, but like you said, it only lasts for a little bit then it clears up and is fine.

Sounds like it could be the idle air control valve (or whatever the Subaru nomenclature is on it). It's a valve that can open or close to allow extra air past the throttle body when it's closed than during regular idle. It allows the car to idle slightly higher during cold starts. If your car is idling at its usual idle immediately after a cold start, I would suspect this to be the culprit. Try cleaning it out, if that doesn't work, replace it.

• I Donated
Did you use an aftermarket or OEM o2 sensor? I had problems simular to this when I put an Autozone o2 sensor on my car (upstream). It went away when I swaped it out with an OEM one

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Did you use an aftermarket or OEM o2 sensor? I had problems simular to this when I put an Autozone o2 sensor on my car (upstream). It went away when I swaped it out with an OEM one

I installed an OEM 02 sensor from the Subaru Dealer.

Archived