LegacyGT.com

the trunk is pissing me off...

any of you have a problem with the trunk surface always caving in when u load in something half-heavy? just throwing my backpack onto the thing makes it cave in. why didn't (or does) subaru offer a more sturdy, qulaity solution fo rthe trunk surface?

I know exactly what he's talking about ... My golf clubs permanently reside in my trunk and I noticed that after about 2-3 weeks the cover over the subfloor storage was caving in and generally a piece of crap. It was of much better quality in the Impreza, but the board was larger there and didn't need to have easy access to sub-floor storage, so that might have had something to do with it. Either way, I was a little disappointed that the trunk looked like the cheap ass floor in so many domestics I used to see when they were traded after only a couple weeks.

And no, Deer Killer, I have not removed the foam storage, I need that there to store golf balls, a change of golf clothes, socks, and some other miscellaneous bits.

And no, Deer Killer, I have not removed the foam storage, I need that there to store golf balls, a change of golf clothes, socks, and some other miscellaneous bits.

*shrug* mine sits flush and isn't really compressible without breaking the tray.. I don't see how it could collapse.

I put in a harder piece of cardboard under the panel.. other than that, I keep my tray and spare in the rear and I just take it all out when I am at the paddock.. currently, mine slightly dips, but it happens as these are just flimsy plastic boards.

Keefe

Keefe

Deer Killer, what do you normally have in your trunk ... just looking for comparison.
Well in the past I've had a few hundred lbs (two systems worth) of audio equipment, no problems. I've also been in there myself trying to find anchor points for my sub up in the corners :)

How much do your clubs weigh?

I have no idea what my clubs weigh, probably not more than 25 lbs in the whole bag. I'm guessing that by simply having them always sitting on top it might have something to do with it rather than the occasional item in the trunk.

Didn't Subaru lower the overall weight of the new Legacy? This is probably why the trunk floor is less sturdy than that of the Impreza.

Constantly driving around with something in the trunk is a waste of fuel in the long run. But I guess its better than driving around in a full size SUV.

Does the cover fit / is there a cover for the sedan?

yes there is, it fits perfectly. I got mine from my dealer so maybe you can ask yours about it, anyhow if I find any online I'll send you the link.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine. I keep a ~20 bag of mechincs tools in the trunk at all times. In addition a plastic milk crate with a flashlight, fire extinguisher, paper towels, baby wipes, other miscleaneous items etc. Probably weighs around ~20 pounds. It's always in my trunk and I've never noticed a problem with the tire cover bowing.

Guest JessterCPA

From prior experience, I found that if you keep the cover dry, you tend not to have sagging. I got the Jetta trunk floor wet one time, and it sagged until I turned it in.

Jesse

Archived