LegacyGT.com

97 Outback head bolts replace? "Torque-to-yield"?

• 2 weeks later...

1) Gates makes great belts. No problem using them.

2) Johnegg - The tighten sequence is called "Angle Controlled Tightening" which is designed to reliably torque bolts. Not all torque wrenches read the same, nor do they properly allow axial de-straining required to achieve consistent preload. The majority of ACT procedures are designed to bring the bolts very close to yield. In most cases, ACT processes provide less than 5% variation to yield. A slight over-torque makes the bolt no longer usable.

Best practice? Replace the head bolts each time.

Head studs do NOT need to be replaced each time, and are a pretty good idea. I believe ARP has it's own installation torque procedure. It's pretty important that you follow the right directions.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

1) Gates makes great belts. No problem using them.

2) Johnegg - The tighten sequence is called "Angle Controlled Tightening" which is designed to reliably torque bolts. Not all torque wrenches read the same, nor do they properly allow axial de-straining required to achieve consistent preload. The majority of ACT procedures are designed to bring the bolts very close to yield. In most cases, ACT processes provide less than 5% variation to yield. A slight over-torque makes the bolt no longer usable.

Best practice? Replace the head bolts each time.

Head studs do NOT need to be replaced each time, and are a pretty good idea. I believe ARP has it's own installation torque procedure. It's pretty important that you follow the right directions.

well this is the first any one here has recommended replacing the bolts for any reason other than ''the manual says so''. i can not argue with your statements because i have no knowledge of ''ARP'', it is new to me. i'll have to read up on it.

but i can still state with confidence that the FSM does not recommend replacing the head bolts. and the folks over at www.ultimatesubaru.org do not recommend replacing them either. and i have complete confidence in both.

so i still disagree.

but each to his own.

well this is the first any one here has recommended replacing the bolts for any reason other than ''the manual says so''. i can not argue with your statements because i have no knowledge of ''ARP'', it is new to me. i'll have to read up on it.

but i can still state with confidence that the FSM does not recommend replacing the head bolts. and the folks over at www.ultimatesubaru.org do not recommend replacing them either. and i have complete confidence in both.

so i still disagree.

but each to his own.

i can see what your saying my dad (a mechanic for 30 some years) was really confused at how little these head bolts torqued. I may or may not replace them.

so i still disagree.

but each to his own.

As I said. You can disagree, but you are still wrong.

But first, ask if the people suggesting you don't replace them are only saying so because the FSM doesn't explicitly state to do so.

I'll do you a few better for proof.

Honda has a very similar tightening process to our cars when replacing head gaskets. In their FSM, it explicitly states to replace the headbolts.

Chilton explicitly states to reuse headbolts at MOST one time. If you didn't buy the motor new, it's safe to assume that the previous owner took it apart unless you have documentation to suggest otherwise.

Ford, in the FSM for the Taurus, requires the replacement of headbolts when the heads are removed from the engine. IIRC the FSM says something like "Remove cylinder heads. Discard cylinder head retaining bolts". Ford actually includes headbolts in the headgasket kit for the Vulcan motor.

It's $80. Eat Ramen for a week, and you can afford to spend $80 so that you only have to do the job once. Is it worth the risk? Just because the FSM doesn't explicitly state to do it, doesn't mean it isn't good practice.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...

not that any one is interested, but i found this info on head bolts.

The head bolts end up right around 90ftlbs when you follow the tightening instructions. I did the degree turns using my digital torque wrench, and they all tighten about the same on the final quarter turn.

First off - all bolts stretch to some degree. There is a BIG difference between stress and yield.... in metalurgical terms the stress at which the material starts to exhibit permanent deformation is called yield. Subaru head bolts do stretch but they DO NOT exprience permanent deformation - thus can be reused an indefinite number of times.

The reason for the degree turns is purely one of practicality - because the Subaru head bolts tend to creak in a large percentage of cases even when the threads are properly chased and the bolts are clean and lubed - the degree turns are set to put about 90 ft/lbs on the bolts. The creaking will throw off a regular torque insturment. Degree turns are impervious to creaking.

So no - Subaru head bolts are NOT torque-to-yield.

GD

Archived