LegacyGT.com

2 Do I have a bad axle?(05 lgt)

lee07

So I don't know if I have a bad axle or not. When I make a left hand turn in first gear and go around 15mph there is a clicking or clunking sound. So I went and did some full 360 degrees making lefts and rights and there are no noise at all. Only when making left turns at intersections going around 15mph in 1st gear it will clunk or click. It sound like its coming from the left rear. I took it to a shop and they say my axles are fine no leaks, cuts, etc. I also power washed the under body so it shouldn't be dirt or snow. Any thoughts on whats making the noise? Is it a bad axle?

I'm pretty sure its the left rear thats making this noise. There are no leaks or cuts on any of the four axles. It drives fine when straight and making right hand turns only when turning left in 1st gear going around 15mph will it click numerous times. If I start it in 2nd gear its quiet when turning. a bad I made several left 360 degree turns going around 7 mph and it did not click at all. Could it be a bad differential or something? Shouldn't a bad axle click when I was doing those 360 turns?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also get a very similar noise except it's while making a right hand turn. Left turns are fine but the symptoms are otherwise as you describe. I've inspected all the CV joint boots on the whole car and those were fine. I'm also quite sure it's coming from the rear of the car.

I tend to think it's the differential but I'm just going to drive it until it really gets obvious. Also, the symptoms aren't at all consistent with a wheel bearing failure.

No, I haven't and I don't know what it is. Midas said it was valve train noise but I don't think so. The diff fluid was changed for the front/back 1 week and 3 months ago. Tire pressure I always check every week when I wash and detail it. Though the drivers tire does always lose 10 pounds a week while the other 3 are perfectly fine! Not sure if that's why it's making noise when I drive though because I put more air and still clicks.

No, I haven't and I don't know what it is. Midas said it was valve train noise but I don't think so. The diff fluid was changed for the front/back 1 week and 3 months ago. Tire pressure I always check every week when I wash and detail it. Though the drivers tire does always lose 10 pounds a week while the other 3 are perfectly fine! Not sure if that's why it's making noise when I drive though because I put more air and still clicks.

I think the most likely culprit is the diff. It's the only thing that really comes into play and a slow turn implies a short radius. The diff is also a viscous limited slip and, I believe, there are plates in there that work with the viscous fluid to do the lock up.

Personally, I've decided not to worry about it. I've heard other limited slip diffs do similar things and if it's going to die, it'll get much louder and more obvious before it does.

Archived