LegacyGT.com

lightened flywheel bad idea

SubaruFanatic

I've been chasing a problem and thought it was my motor mounts and trans mount so i just replaced them but the car still does the same thing. When I shift with this lightened flywheel it feels like I have a broken motor mount and its quite annoying. I either have to hold the gas lightly or feather the gas to not get it to do this. My best description is almost as if you were driving at 50mph had it in neutral and stuck it in 2nd gear and just popped the clutch without rev matching and having the engine bang from trying to catch up.

I also have a light weight crank pulley. my friend has the same clutch with a steel wrx flywheel and non lightened crank pulley and his shifts like stock but you can tell mine revs faster.

i'm either going to swap fly wheels, try changing back to the stock crank pulley, or see if there is someway you can tune the car to not drop rpm's so fast. what do you guys think?

Well well. Most people when they upgrade to a lighter than stock (dual mass) flywheel, go for one of the two kinds. Now what I say may be a bit dated since I did this several years ago but nevertheless should hold true although there may be more options now.

a) either an aftermarket light weight fly wheel like ACT ~14lbs

b) a WRX flywheel (2006-2007) ~ 20 lbs

And I think the OEM dual mass is 26 lbs.

The benefit of a lighter flywheel is being able to "free" some of the power the engine makes. And yes the car will rev up faster, making it easier to be in the proper gear and to rev-match. But the downside is that revs will also drop faster and the car will be harder to drive in daily stop-and-go traffic.

That being said, many many of us have a LWFW and live with it very well. Some preferred the heavier WRX, some preferred the light weight fly wheel - myself included. I have had it for 3 years; changed the clutch twice. My first install gave some rattles; my second one has been quiet.

Now what you describe cannot be tuned out. It is mechanical. And the problem is most likely because you have BOTH a light-weight flywheel and a light-weight pulley. You are NOT supposed to have both. While I certainly say it is an installation problem, I recommend you switch to the OEM pulley first and see what difference that makes. I bet it will be quite a bit better.

When I put my LWFW/clutch in a month ago, it felt better than with my stock.. maybe my clutch was just getting worn.

Why can't you have both? Just makes drive-ability harder? I'm about to put in the crank pulley, just curious why you're saying not to have them both.

There's a certain amount of vibration dampening built into all these rotating masses that we are removing in the name of performance. And it is not just vibration that leads to accelerated wear of whatever bearings are there; having too much rotating mass taken off makes the engine more prone to misfires since the cam sensor may not process signals for the new setup as effectively.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pulley-vs-lightweight-flywheel-37269.html

The issue has been discussed before; see above. You find people in both camps. I personally would not do both.

I think I understand what he is saying. Having both the light flywheel and GMS pulley which is significantly lighter than stock it causes the engine to lose so much enertia that the rpm's drop so fast when you shift and engage the clutch the engine has to catch back up. Light flywheels are also not good for drag racing because when you rev your engine and drop the clutch the heavy flywheel helps launch the car because it has more enertia off the line.

my friend did tell me that it wasn't good to do both but I didn't listen. Its not the end of the world but its rather annoying. I think I will start by doing the pulley as recommended.

I have had it for 3 years; changed the clutch twice. My first install gave some rattles; my second one has been quiet.

Can you describe the rattles you experienced? I just did the ACT and WRX FW, and I am getting a shudder on some starts. I thought it was just me getting use to the new clutch, but after a month, nothing has improved. I have even had my friend (who also has a MT 05 GT with the same clutch set up) drive it and he got the shudder.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Archived