LegacyGT.com

bad day for a transmission

I just had to make a mad dash to lv for surgery and my auto tranny went out on the way there. its a 95 legacy L 2.2 . Does anyone know what years will fit in my car and how hard it would be to convert to a manual?

Thanks

If you went to a manual you would need to full driveline, the final drives are different between the auto and manual and the rearend has to match. The autos came with a 4.11 and a 4.4, pretty sure yours is the 4.4. The manuals got a 3.90 final drive.

nope,

the 4.44 was only in the auto trans 2.5L cars 95 - 99.

the 4.11 was in the auto trans 2.2L cars 95 - 99 AND the 2.5L 5 speeds 95-99.

the 3.9 was only in the 5 speed trans 2.2L cars 95 - 99.

one exception to the above is the 96 outback 5 speed, it has the 4.11 of the 2.5L cars but the engine actually a 2.2L. just an odd duck.

hope this helps.

FYI

it is also recommended, although not required, that you have the entire 5 speed car. way too much stuff to pull from a yard and get it all right on the first try. having the other car means you have everything you need on hand.

Rebuild it! then post an incredibly detailed write up with step by step instructions and pictures so I can rebuild by 4EAT to make some moneh.

No not really. I recommend replacing with a like transmission. Don't consider the conversion unless you've got time, tools, skils, friends, and a donor car.

Archived