LegacyGT.com

Door Speakers On a Budget - db651's?

Hey everyone,

I just bought my 2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited a couple weeks ago. I'm looking to replace all 4 door speakers. I had my heart set on the Polk Audio db651's but I called Polk to see if they'd fit and they claimed that they wouldn't. Polk claimed that the speaker would hit the door panel. I found this odd because I recall seeing a DiY thread on this forum that specifically put the db651's in the rear door, at the very least. I'm not trying to do many alterations as I'm very much a beginner at this. I need 4 new door speakers that sound good and have a solid low end. I'm not looking to win any bass competitions but I do like a good thump like the next guy. What are your suggestions?

Oh, I've also considered putting an AMP on the doors once I replace them because I don't really want to replace the HU but I want to get the most out of the speakers as I can.

I just want something to bump w/o having to go the route of the bigger subwoofer in the trunk and the rear deck sub install (pre cut hole) looked a little overwhelming to me.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to feel at a loss.:spin:

-JustDrew

I placed this thread in the audio forum per your advice. thanks. I'll leave it here for a little too. two birds with one stone hopefully. I'll remove this thread if the other one gets more replies.

Can you explain what you mean "with rings"? And is this only for the rear? I'd like to put these in all 4 doors.

rings are spacers so they clear the window when it goes up and down. crutchfield.con always has a good deal on these particular speakers. buy one get half off. plus free spacers (rings) thats where i got mine, came with wiring harness adapter (also free) made install a snap.

rings are spacers so they clear the window when it goes up and down. crutchfield.con always has a good deal on these particular speakers. buy one get half off. plus free spacers (rings) thats where i got mine, came with wiring harness adapter (also free) made install a snap.

So, the speaker, when it extends, doesn't hit the back of the door panel? that's what I'm worried about as well. More then anything because Polk said it wouldn't fit. But, most everyone on here says the'll fit in the back. But, have to use the db651s in the front.

As a veteran of car audio I can share a few thoughts. Firstly those polks will need some power to sound good. if you have the single climate controls then you can easily change the panel and put an aftermarket head unit to upgrade to amps. if you have the LGT style dual climate controls it gets much tougher to upgrade the radio (due to the radio and climate controls circuit boards being meshed together) the stock radio does not have enough output to make the polks efficient sound decent. if you are really set on changing the speakers you can look for the kartboy trim rings or make your own. If you do it step by step it can be very worth it if done right.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely let us all (or just me) know how everything went, if you had to modify anything or if you ran in to any problems.

I've been looking at this speakers too. Where did you get them? And did they come with the wiring harness or are they already plug n play with the stock wiring? The only audio work I've ever done was installing a new HU and putting in stock tweeters in my 95 Legacy, so I have questions :rolleyes:

I have been thinking of swapping to these Polks too in the rear doors and Polk components upfront. My question is: Why aren't you upgrading the tweeters? Are the stock ones that good?

Also interested in your review after it's done. :)

So, I tried to run mine off an amp but the one I got was no good and had to send it back. (defective RCA jack) Now I have them running off the factory head unit and they still sound great!! I actually have to fade them to the rear (rear 3 or 4 depending) and put the treble at -2 because they sound so good. I do have the bass at +3 or +4 but that will change because I'm getting a preamped Sound Ordnance 8" sub in a bandpass box to get some deeper/richer lows. after that I'm all done. All the wires have been ran....just waiting for it to show up. I can't wait!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vMJVp7gGE]YouTube - How to remove speakers from a 2005 Subaru Legacy/Outback[/ame]

be warned....getting the cover off the door handle is not as easy as the guy makes it look but it will come off with some effort, especially if it's the first time like mine was.

Getting some of the door molding off was a little tricky but just go slow and be patient. the stuff does come off. Aside from the doors everything else just pops off with a little elbow grease.

Lastly, The db651s will fit in the front with the adapters that Polk provides if your willing to drill some holes. And, the db651 fits right in the rear with no adapter needed at all. Again, just gotta drill a few holes.

Archived