LegacyGT.com

Have the LGT itch

Feldman

Kinda sounds like an STD but the other day started looking at getting myself into one pretty seriously. I've driven an '05 auto (which i was impressed by for an auto) but no dealers have a 4th gen in a manual right now so i drove a '10 not a fan of the shape but it pulls well.

I've never owned an auto and have had 5 cars am i going to be disappointed if a go for an auto? how reliable are they? I remember test driving a manual a few months back when i was more window shopping and it felt like stirring a bucket of rocks, I'm assuming there was something wrong there, is this common in the MT's

Any years i should avoid?

I'm probably looking to buy around the end of the month.

I was also planning on getting an Access Port but probably leave it stock. any issues/concerns with that?

I'll be doing as much reading as i can in the mean time but i just want some owners opinions in the mean time

I love my LGT. I like the 5eat (Auto),,,, most of the time. If I had it to do all over again, and if I had known I was going to get crazy (stage 3) I would have gone with a 5mt (manual) or SpecB. If you know you will never go above stage 1/2, AutoX or Drag, then it really doesn't matter.

What is your budget?

I could maybe see myself getting to stage 2 probably not much more though. I'd like to keep it below $15k There are a few around here that I am looking at including one that is owned by a local tuner for $14k that is at stage 2 and has a protune.

I've always done all my own work so I'm not too worried about a higher mileage car i just don't want to be dropping in a new tranny.

I'm also looking at a 03-06 G35 coupe but right now I'm leaning towards the subie route right now

decisions decisions

that's me. The car is in great condition and has the an extended 100,000 mile warranty. Let me know if you want to look at it.

Ya i noticed you on here when i saw your car in the classifieds. I've got a pretty busy week or so then I'll hit you up

The VF-46 still has the banjo bolts, with the screens, which is what has caused the majority of turbo failures. Mine have been removed (they were clean) as a caution. It all comes down to maintenance (typically). I have every service record for my car, along with hundreds of data logs, without any knock or timing being pulled. I have my boost set low, for a stage 2 car, at 16psi to be on the safe side.

Basically, the main caution, when buying a used LGT, is ensuring the oil and other services have been done on time.

In terms of LGT's, look for 07+, they came with the vf46 turbo, the vf40's on the 05-06's have rough reliability. Unless of course the turbo has been replaced and/or upgraded already.

The vf46 is no more reliable than the vf40. The vf46 started getting tossed into cars in 07 not in 05. The vf40 have 2 years more mileage and use to have aged and worn out. Vf46 is unlikely to last any longer than a vf40.

What the 05-06 do have is a catted uppipe (pre-turbo) which is a design no-no. (You don't want to put a catalytic that disintegrates as it gets old PRE-TURBO).

Archived