LegacyGT.com

Last in line doesn't pay...

skimann20

So, I was driving on the pike this morning behind a large group of vehicles in the middle lane and got pulled over. He stated that I was doing 75 in a 55... Holy crap. I would have said 65 max. I've never been pulled over for speed in Mass. So I have a few questions:

1.) What does it mean when Radar and Estimated are checked off on the ticket?

2.) Has anyone gone to the magistrate and fought one this large(and won)?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! thanks

The 55 mph stretches are a joke. EVERYONE goes 65+ when there's traffic.

The good news is that there's no surcharge for your first traffic violation (no points). So, your insurance premium wont take a hit for years on end. The incident is still visible to the insurance companies though -- so it's possible that it will effect any preferred/excellent driver status that you currently hold.

The 55 mph stretches are a joke. EVERYONE goes 65+ when there's traffic.

The good news is that there's no surcharge for your first traffic violation (no points). So, your insurance premium wont take a hit for years on end. The incident is still visible to the insurance companies though -- so it's possible that it will effect any preferred/excellent driver status that you currently hold.

So even if I fight it, it would still be considered my first violation unless they would drop the charge all together (which would never happen). So the best I can do is drop the fine? correct?

Something else to consider - since last year they passed a new law that you have to pay $25 in CASH to get denied by the magistrate. Then another $50 in CASH to get a judge hearing - to be paid the same day if you want to see the judge. Plus you'll have to pay your ticket balance if you are found responsible.

Total money collecting BS now and everyone knows it. Some lawyer who got a $100 ticket earlier and fought it is fighting the new charges, but for now they are here to stay.

did anyone else get pulled over?

No.

The best I can figure is that he got the cars in front of me. Saw my car approaching the group of cars (they all slammed on their breaks when they saw the cop (i did not), thus my car approaching their car) and figured I was going faster than them. (makes sense)

Has anyone ever called the cop to get clarification on a ticket?

normally I just pay tickets, but this one fires me up because I know I was not going this fast.

What is your driving record? RI gives you one free pass every three years. What did the cop indicate on the ticket for traffic conditions?

there are no notes on my ticket. He may have written notes on his report though. I think I'm going to call him to get clarification. I'm hoping he admits that the car in front of me was doing less than 75 ;-)

I fought my ticket in October for being pulled over in June during WBM. Out of ALL THE SUBIES on the road in a line....I get pulled over. He Lidar and estimated me. When I got to the Clinton Courthouse, the Statie was there. Paid my $25 to fight the ticket fee and waited. Got called and went into the room. Cop said he "had no evidence" and they let me go. What a waste of time. Just go fight it and plea your case.

I fought my ticket in October for being pulled over in June during WBM. Out of ALL THE SUBIES on the road in a line....I get pulled over. He Lidar and estimated me. When I got to the Clinton Courthouse, the Statie was there. Paid my $25 to fight the ticket fee and waited. Got called and went into the room. Cop said he "had no evidence" and they let me go. What a waste of time. Just go fight it and plea your case.

Nice! Lidar is a hard one to beat because its a pin point laser, they know what they are shooting at with that one.

The cop was at the magistrate? i thought he didn't show up untill the the second round after the magistrate. did he come right out and say he had no evidence? or did you have to ask him questions?

Nice! Lidar is a hard one to beat because its a pin point laser, they know what they are shooting at with that one.

The cop was at the magistrate? i thought he didn't show up untill the the second round after the magistrate. did he come right out and say he had no evidence? or did you have to ask him questions?

Yea the cop was there. I asked the other people around me and they all think it was the same cop cause he had a scar on his face. They called me in, before I sat down, the cop said no evidence, then the magistrate signed my paperwork and I left.

I had the weather report all printed out for that day how it was rainy and foggy and it might have thrown the lidar off and printed some Subies on the road that day in a line and how he picked me out of a long ass line.

So a cfewof things from fighting many tickets in mass.

First off, if it is radar and estimated, it means that he was traveling behind you, or saw you and then used his radar on other cars traveling at the same speed or your car OR estimated your driving speed, based on his speed. The latter more likely, but he checked off both, because estimated would never hold up on its own.

Also... Lidar is the laser as someone pointed out, and you will never get that tossed out. So your only option would be to request a hearing with a judge and hope the state trooper doesnt show up.

Second, you can discuss a ticket, but good luck getting in touch with a state trooper.

Third, sometimes the local cops who actually wrote you the ticket show up to magistrate hearings, and will even make sure they are available to follow-up if you decided to take it to a judge. In the event that you got a ticket from a state trooper, at the first hearing, with the magistrate, it is just a representative for the state trooper. And if you request a 2nd hearing with a judge ($50) you have a pretty good chance (75-80%) that the state trooper won't show up. In all of my tickets, that I have appealed to the judge, only once with the local cop, did a cop show up, and never with any state trooper. It's not worth there time.

So depending on the ticket, and how easy it is for you to take the time to fight it, you are one going to spend $25 to appeal the ticket, then $50 for a second hearing.

If you were majorly speeding even with a clean record I am pretty sure that you will be surcharged in massachusetts. What happens then is after 5 years that event will drop off your record of surcharges.

So just some open advice...

habitual derail-er

So

First off, if it is radar and estimated, it means that he was traveling behind you, or saw you and then used his radar on other cars traveling at the same speed or your car OR estimated your driving speed, based on his speed. The latter more likely, but he checked off both, because estimated would never hold up on its own.

He was parked on the side of the road and said I was approaching the car in front of me. that's because everyone lit up their breaks when they saw him. I had no need to; that's what I get for leaving space between me and the cars in front of me.

• 4 months later...

update...

it was a cattle call.

there was 9 of us at court.

6 doing 75 and 2 doing 77, and one too cool to talk to us guy.

i was 7th in line.

everyone in front of me had their ticket reduced by 10. no mater what they said.

only one guy did not take the offer.

I told the judge that the reason i was driving so fast was "that there were monkeys flying out my rear and there was a VW bus with Iranian tarriest that were trying to give my x-wife back chasing me and I would do anything not to have her back....

judge "i'll reduce it to 65"

I'm certain there was nothing that could have been said to change his mind. what a joke!

i did talk to one guy, and he said that he'd been their once before and everyone in the room had a ticket for 75.

Archived