LegacyGT.com

Should I swap it?

Hey everybody,

Haven't posted in a while, just driving around and nothing to post

Here's the deal:

I have a 1998 BK 5 speed. Just got rear-ended the 23rd, driveable, but since so old it will be totaled for sure. My body guy says $4000 or so for sure. Tailgate, bumper cover, trunk floor, all lights, rear glass, just into the edges of both quarter panels,and bumper cover. Car has 168K and is reliable, no real issues except occasional 320 code for converter efficiency. Both O2 sensors replaced along with converter and still occasional code, sounds like very slight head gasket. I can live with it no problem.

I found another BK 1998 but with an auto trans. Car seems to run well but there is a vibration from say 20 mph and up, seems like drivetrain, trans, diff, axles or bearings. Could even be tires, not sure. Wheels look straight as it rolls by slow. 110,000 miles, body and interior in average to good condition: minor scratches, two tiny dents, no rust, interior really clean. No rips, tears, etc.

I know it has been asked before, but this would be a pretty easy if not time consuming swap from auto to manual. All the parts are there and in good condition. I am not afraid of the parts changing and wiring and time to do it, I have a well-equipped garage that will hold both cars.

If I can get the other car for real cheap, say $1500, would you do it? I could pull motor and trans together, swap the rear diff and axles and driveshafts, change the pedal cluster and shifter, and then rewire the trans and tell the computer it's a manual now.

Money is a big issue, none laying around to buy another car and no loans so on the cheap is the way. I have other toy cars but the Leggy is my DD.

I drove the car and it seemed ok except for CEL and vibration. Going to look at the automatic today with code-reader and floor jack/stands in hand. Car will be a trade-in so will try to lowball it as the owner isn't going to get much when they try to trade it in on a new car next week.

check www.edmunds.com for trade in value.

if you do get the car, there is nothing wrong with driving it as is and replacing parts as needed. and if you want to do the 5 speed swap go for it. but i don't see any need to swap out a perfectly good engine until it fails.

as for the vibration, i'd bet on axles or tires. rotate the tires or swap in yours to see.

Depending on how bad it got you may end up using it as a parts car or actually reconstruct it to something else provided you have skill, time and place to do some serious welding.

A Subie ElCamino maybe? :p

This is a brilliant idea, one of the better ones I've seen lately, and it should be taken into serious consideration.

Legacy BRAT. Gotta' bring back the BRAT.

My parents have one they still use daily.

Not even any serious rust, but the upholstery is cracked and floor mats severely worn out now. And the engine is almost as reliable as the Volvo B18 engine.

453747.png

Archived